Author Topic: Worst Merriweather opener you have seen  (Read 3155 times)

Sir HC

Worst Merriweather opener you have seen
« on: September 02, 2009, 05:37:37 pm »
For me, it is going wwwaaaayyyy back.  Translator (Everywhere that I'm not) were to open for the Kinks.  They no showed (not sure why) and it was some horrible heavy metal 3 piece.  Beyond sucky, so bad that I still remember them more than 25 years later.

StoneTheCrow

Re: Worst Merriweather opener you have seen
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:57:14 pm »
Hard to say.  I'm going to go with Wu Tang Clan when the opened for Rage Against the Machine.  Love 'em to death and have seen much better performances by them but that night they absolutely stunk up the joint.  The crowd was pretty much out of hand, too, which didn't help.  Anyone who was there would almost certainly have to agree it was a debacle on stage and in the pavilion/lawn.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:58:48 pm »
Back in middle school when I liked bad music, I saw New Found Glory open for Blink 182. Blink 182 stunk the place up, New Found Glory did even more so.

walkonby

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:46:54 pm »
i think i can honestly say that the only shows i have ever seen at merriweather have been phish, widespread panic, and trey (solo).  and we all know it was a good majority of the fans stinking up the place on those occasions.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:13:40 pm »
i've only been to MPP twice.  the first time was for aubele/ladytron/TVotR/Thievery.  there were no bad acts on that bill.  frederico was my least favorite, but he was still very good.

the second time was this past weekend, for freefest.  so it's a bit of a stretch, but taking back sunday's "opening" set was the worse i've ever seen at merriweather.
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:16:00 pm »
Wang Chung. 

No explanation needed.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:38 am »
Hard to say.  I'm going to go with Wu Tang Clan when the opened for Rage Against the Machine.  Love 'em to death and have seen much better performances by them but that night they absolutely stunk up the joint.  The crowd was pretty much out of hand, too, which didn't help.  Anyone who was there would almost certainly have to agree it was a debacle on stage and in the pavilion/lawn.

I think I have to agree with you....I was mainly there just to see Atari Teenage Riot, but liked Wu Tang Clan as well....they had like 500 people on stage, it was insane (and not in a good way)

I've only been to Merriweather a handful of times though.

mdh9857

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 01:05:00 pm »
I've only been to MPP once, and it was FreeFest, but Taking Back Sunday was pretty awful.

[the second time was this past weekend, for freefest.  so it's a bit of a stretch, but taking back sunday's "opening" set was the worse i've ever seen at merriweather.
[/quote]

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 02:17:50 pm »
I've also only been once. That Modest Mouse set opening for REM was a trainwreck.
احمد

Mobius

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 08:59:22 pm »
I saw the first HORDE festival there in 1992 and I guess that entire bill was my least favorite opener . . .was not feeling it that day at all