Author Topic: In honor of Dino Jr.'s return to the club,  (Read 25095 times)

walkonby

Re: In honor of Dino Jr.'s return to the club,
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2009, 10:48:28 pm »
piai

Primary Immunodeficiency Association of Ireland?  postoperative intra-abdominal infection?  Perish in an Inferno? 

yours was better way better, sweet . . . sorry, julian.  you know, this thread is the epitome of why i still enjoi this forum.  first it begins as a kind offering of a show, in which i rip apart with my bashful comments of a horrible setlist which spirals into us two bickbackering between blips of why dinosuar should or should not of had those wastes of master tapes called the two first albums.  then the debacle of those mighty ones of many posts who have fallen off the board, then others joining into the mix to discuss the scene of those past monkeys hurling shit and calling it grunge music and what it did it to warrant/kix/poison/guns-n-roses/etc..., which finally has morphed into where it is now.  good job gang, you deserves kudos and cat treats all around!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:50:00 pm by walkonby »

azaghal1981

« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2009, 11:50:00 am »
You forgot to mention the part where everyone except Jaguar told you how wrong and crazy you are for dissing the first two albums.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2009, 08:21:28 pm »
You forgot to mention the part where everyone except Jaguar told you how wrong and crazy you are for dissing the first two albums.

touché  cat is too lazy to go find a picture.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2009, 08:46:07 pm »
I'm ok with people saying Dinosaur isn't all that great. It's a classic, early-band album where they show some promise and but it comes across as very uneven. I would even put some of the later albums ahead of it, particularly Green Mind. It's the dislike for YLAOM that specifically scares the shit outta me.

walkonby

« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2009, 10:02:32 pm »
I'm ok with people saying Dinosaur isn't all that great. It's a classic, early-band album where they show some promise and but it comes across as very uneven. I would even put some of the later albums ahead of it, particularly Green Mind. It's the dislike for YLAOM that specifically scares the shit outta me.

one good song, in a jar, tops.  the mere awesome power of it coming from show amps is like bill o'reily screaming "do it live!".  and the bonus, just like heaven, show me the way covers ain't what all the kids think their cracked up to be (meaning, they're crap).  plus poledo scars the disk with the mere presence of itself.  j. knew it was time to take over the controls of the band when that song grated the grinder of a scene that would be generating grunge.  the cover explains it all.  "this music is making a man attempt to escape my head as i listen to this album."

godsshoeshine

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2009, 10:04:30 am »
ylaom is one of my top 5 favorite albums ever. such crazy talk
o/\o

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2009, 10:41:46 am »
It is truly a monster of an album.  J.'s playing on that album is just fucking epic.

Question:  I've owned a few editions of this album, some ending with "Just Like Heaven" and one that ended with and awsome deconstruction of Peter Frampton's "Show me the Way".  What is the story with this?  I'm pretty sure the frampton version came first cuz I had the SST version of the album shortly after it came out but have always wondered about this.

walkonby

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2009, 12:20:39 pm »
It is truly a monster of an album.  J.'s playing on that album is just fucking epic.

Question:  I've owned a few editions of this album, some ending with "Just Like Heaven" and one that ended with and awsome deconstruction of Peter Frampton's "Show me the Way".  What is the story with this?  I'm pretty sure the frampton version came first cuz I had the SST version of the album shortly after it came out but have always wondered about this.

source, wiki: 
Dinosaur recorded much of their second album You're Living All Over Me with Sonic Youth engineer Wharton Tiers in New York. During the recording process, tension emerged between Mascis and Murph because Mascis had very specific ideas for the drum parts. Barlow recalled, "J controlled Murph's every drumbeat...And Murph could not handle that. Murph wanted to kill J for the longest time."[8] Gerard Cosloy was excited by the completed album, but was devastated when Mascis told him the band was going to release it on SST Records. Mascis was reluctant to sign a two-album deal with Homestead, but Cosloy felt betrayed; Cosloy said, "There was no way I couldn't take it personally."[9] After the album's completion Mascis moved to New York, leaving the rest of the band feeling alienated.[10]

(you see . . . this album ruined the band).

from wiki, as well:

The album was originally issued when the band were still known as Dinosaur, before a lawsuit forced the name change to Dinosaur Jr. The album was recalled by SST a few months after release, and new copies were printed crediting the band as Dinosaur Jr.

10. "Show Me the Way" (Bonus track on SST CD version) Peter Frampton 3:45
11. "Just Like Heaven" (Bonus track on 2005 Merge Records reissue & 2005 Imperial Records reissue) The Cure 2:53
12. "Throw Down" (Bonus tracks on 2005 Imperial Records reissue)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2009, 12:32:12 pm »
if the band was ruined, wouldnt that mean every thing after ylaom was bad
o/\o

azaghal1981

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2009, 12:54:14 pm »
Loveless "ruined" MBV and that album couldn't possibly be more perfect. Sorry Walkies, you're not going to win this argument.

احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2009, 01:35:08 pm »

(you see . . . this album ruined the band).

what I see is J's being a passive aggressive douchebag is what ruined the band.
and yet, without J, no band.
I'm not sure what to do with this conundrum
oword

walkonby

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2009, 01:57:42 pm »
Loveless "ruined" MBV and that album couldn't possibly be more perfect. Sorry Walkies, you're not going to win this argument.

i sort of realized this long ago.   ;D

azaghal1981

« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2009, 09:43:02 am »
Just for you, Walkies:
They played "Thumb" and "Get Me" at this recent show.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2009, 09:58:25 am »
Just for you, Walkies:
They played "Thumb" and "Get Me" at this recent show.

you just made me horny.  (sorry . . . yes, i had to say it like that).

El Jefe Design

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2009, 01:30:23 pm »

Dinosaur Jr. asked us to do another poster for their stop off in DC. They wanted something to represent how loud the shows are so we portrayed someone drowning in noise. These will be at the show and available through us on October 9th. Two versions available.

http://www.eljefedesign.com/posters/dino09.html