Author Topic: Any record stores left?  (Read 3684 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Any record stores left?
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:20:56 pm »
Especially in suburban Maryland? The only one I can think of offhand is CDepot, but they're absolutely terrible for new releases. Best Buy's selection is dwindling fast but they've often got great prices on the new releases they do carry. Same with Target. Borders sometimes has decent indie titles but at high prices. All I want right now is the new Four Tet. He's on Domino fer chrissakes, practically a major. I'd rather buy locally when I can than have to rely more and more on web stores like Amazon, Newbury Comics and Forced Exposure.

Is there hope for physical media? Where do you buy your music that isn't $10 in parking/fares? What's close to Greenbelt and College Park?
😐 🎶

hutch

Re: Any record stores left?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:35:41 pm »
Until recently there was a CD Game Exchange in College Park on the main road with all the stuff on it...basically past the CD DEpot I believe on your right..

but yeah record stores are going quick..

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:00:00 pm »
out of the three?bad, sad or mad?i choose mad to describe my distaste for what the music industry distribution process has become.

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:16:14 am »
Take a trek to Baltimore one of these days, go to Fells Point, go to the Soundgarden. Great selection, great vibe, good prices. The last remaining great record store in the area, IMO.  And you can park for free behind the place, as long as you're shopping in the store. Do it.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:04 am »
Take a trek to Baltimore one of these days, go to Fells Point, go to the Soundgarden. Great selection, great vibe, good prices. The last remaining great record store in the area, IMO.  And you can park for free behind the place, as long as you're shopping in the store. Do it.

Soundgarden is fine for occasional excursions but I'm more concerned about the neighborhood outlet, a place one can stop by after work on the way home to pick up the latest on street date. They don't have to be as convenient as take-out, just a place that doesn't take two hours of my time. CDepot could be that if Sandy was less concerned about acquiring failed stores' inventories than in running an actual record store.
😐 🎶

tobyd

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 11:13:07 am »
I'm a big fan of Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville.

This thread has a nice breakdown:
http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=19446.0

Toby

Arthwys

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:35:38 am »
Beats...there's a record store just off UMCP campus near Potbelly Sandwich.  It's been there for years.
Emrys

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 11:38:57 am »
Beats...there's a record store just off UMCP campus near Potbelly Sandwich.  It's been there for years.

Yeah, the Game Exchange, but it's used selection is tiny and they don't carry new stuff.
😐 🎶

Christine Moritz

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:10:27 pm »
Joe's Record Paradise is moving to Silver Spring.  From another forum:

8216 georgia ave. downtown silver spring between s.s. and thayer ave. this is huge! we about double our size--much of the extra space used for storage--paying a little less in rent. what a deal...

open feb 1 or sooner. phone should remain the same: 301 315 2235

we are redoing the store website www.joesrecordparadise.com to have updated info.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:14:44 pm »

8216 georgia ave. downtown silver spring between s.s. and thayer ave. this is huge! we about double our size--much of the extra space used for storage--paying a little less in rent. what a deal...

we are redoing the store website www.joesrecordparadise.com to have updated info.

**drool**

Thanks, Christine! This is especially sweet since I want to move back to Takoma Park/Silver Spring sometime in the next couple of years. The new Joe's location is pretty close to the deceased Vinyl Ink and Compact Discovery.
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 12:24:34 pm »
Ditto on the news Christine, hopefully they'll stock more new stuff as well...
T.Rex

evilizac

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 12:37:07 pm »

**drool**

Thanks, Christine! This is especially sweet since I want to move back to Takoma Park/Silver Spring sometime in the next couple of years. The new Joe's location is pretty close to the deceased Vinyl Ink and Compact Discovery.
Awwwwwe... Now what will complete my trifecta (or possibly fourfecta) of used musical junkstops consisting of Atomic Music, Famous Pawn, Wagging Tails (sometimes) and Joes... little sad, glad they're not going out of business though... So I got that going for me...

WHAT?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:58:35 pm »
And as an added bonus it's close to Mandalay that wonderful Burmese eatery on Bonifant
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 05:40:27 pm »
More importantly, it'll be steps away from The Quarry House.

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 07:23:17 pm »
you know, after years of inner complaining (plus bitching on here) i feel i'm going to give into the digital age of downloading music onto one of those things and leave the hard insertion world of musical input into my ears.  which i discovered i'm going deaf in one ear due to years of concerts without plugs.  i guess i am finally giving in to download because i believe lps are wagon wheel pains in the ass, cassettes are awesome somehow but sound like ween's early live shows, cds get scratched so easily and break . . . but the main issue is space.  space wins.  game over.  hello space, onto one of those things the size of a wallet which once before was everywhere on many shelves, in many drawers around my life.