Author Topic: Walk Hard may be the greatest movie ever made...  (Read 7304 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Walk Hard may be the greatest movie ever made...
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 11:05:18 pm »
All of these movies are crappy in their own way but some much crappier than others. Thing is, the fact that they are so bad will often make a really bad movie funny; hence enjoyable. Not all can or will appreciate that angle.

Some of these I've liked, some I've hated and some I've yet to see.

Haven't seen Walk Hard yet because I hated the trailer so much. Maybe I'll give it a whirl one day.

Sometime this week I plan to watch Pot Zombies. (Radiated pot turns the stoners into a bunch of zombies who get a mean case of the muchies for human flesh.) It's guaranteed to suck! Oh, wait. That would be a vampire flick. Okay, it's guaranteed to bite!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 09:31:05 am »
Man, really? Well, what's a good comedy then?

Any Wes Anderson movie?
‼‼?‼‼

nkotb

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 09:37:50 am »
Let's face facts...Wes Anderson movies are hilarious, and Dr. Strangelove probably is easily a top 5 comedy of all time.  But we're talking about dick jokes here, Julian...let's not muddy the conversation :)

Man, really? Well, what's a good comedy then?

Any Wes Anderson movie?

reggie

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 10:11:34 am »
Tropic Thunder is probably the worst comedy named in this thread.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 10:39:22 am »
Wes isn't really my cup of tea, his movies are enjoyable. I won't shit on them, but when I go to a movie and wanna be entertained for an hour and a half I'll take Beerfest over The Royal Tenenbaums.

Although Ben Stiller and his kids looking all the same is hilarious.
‼‼?‼‼

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 11:10:01 am »
I actually paid to see Pineapple Express three times in the theaters, ridiculous.  Just saw it again last weekend for the first time in a while (thank you, streaming Netflix) and it's still awesome.

"I'm just up here tryin to get a motherfuckin scholarship!"

Speaking of streaming Netflix, they have "Dirty Work", which has held up remarkably well.  Some of Chris Farley's funniest moments in there.

Saw Hot Tub Time Machine last night and was pleasantly surprised.
(o|o)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 11:52:26 am »
I was disappointed with Hot Tub Time Machine, it had endless possibilities and I thought it was pretty lame.

Pineapple Express on the other hand, I love deeply.
‼‼?‼‼

RustyOrgan

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 11:59:48 am »
Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were both excellent comedies

I was disappointed with Hot Tub Time Machine, it had endless possibilities and I thought it was pretty lame.

Pineapple Express on the other hand, I love deeply.

Jaguar

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:16 pm »
Streamed Hot Tub Time Machine last week. It sucked yet had me laughing so it wasn't a total loss. Best viewed at home where your losses are minimal if you end up hating it. It really is bad but there is enough there to kill an hour and half's worth of home entertainment time. I do agree that it could have been so much better. Then again, it seemed to venture into all the parts of the '80s that I hated. Think the whole time they only played one song that I ever liked which I could have easily dealt with if the movie was any better. It's definitely very corny but I sort of expected that. Very, very cheesy. Don't even think of comparing it to a bigger and better production like Back To The Future. That would be like comparing some high grade Wisconsin cheese to Velveeta.

Watched Pot Zombies last night. Talk about bad! Yet, I laughed all the way through. Extremely bad acting, like a very early John Waters film, though perfect for the film. No plot whatsoever. Only vingettes of the same old thing all the way through. Just different renditions. Wish that I had been stoned because I'm sure that I would have laughed much more but, alas, that wasn't possible. Recommended only to those who love the art of really bad movies like Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes. If that tickles your funny bone, than you'll love Pot Zombies.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 01:36:20 pm »
Streamed Hot Tub Time Machine last week. It sucked yet had me laughing so it wasn't a total loss. Best viewed at home where your losses are minimal if you end up hating it. It really is bad but there is enough there to kill an hour and half's worth of home entertainment time. I do agree that it could have been so much better. Then again, it seemed to venture into all the parts of the '80s that I hated. Think the whole time they only played one song that I ever liked which I could have easily dealt with if the movie was any better. It's definitely very corny but I sort of expected that. Very, very cheesy. Don't even think of comparing it to a bigger and better production like Back To The Future. That would be like comparing some high grade Wisconsin cheese to Velveeta.

HTTM was parodying Back to the Future every step of the way, right down to the Crispin Glover casting (I thought he was too artsy now to cash in on stuff like this?)

What was the song?  "I Will Dare"?  They had an Echo song in there too...
(o|o)

Jaguar

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 02:34:47 pm »
^ Don't remember but it was just some random song while they were in the nightclub but you may be right. Not a band song. I know that doesn't help much since they spent so much time in there but that's all I remember.

The movie kind of reminded me of The Hangover which I did not like at all, short of a few laughs.

Jaguar

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 12:12:03 am »
Got another good/bad comedy for you: Killer Condem

Bizarre! Actually, it turned out to be better than I expected though we are still in bad film area here.

Part of what makes this film kind of interesting, yet funny, for Americans, is that it's a German film that takes place in New York City. Part of it was filmed in NYC while the rest was filmed in Berlin. I found it funny just picking up on some of the exaggerated stereotypes. One caveat for the lazy types: it's subtitled... unless you understand German, than you're clear. Worth the venture though if you get a kick out of this sort of film. The biggest problem with that was that it's very visual so the subtitles drew my attention away from some of that. Would actually prefer it subtitled though rather than dubbed in English because all that German sounded quite funny coming out of the mouths of supposed Americans, especially during some wank-ass politician's mouth. It was almost like some unintended political statement which just made it all the funnier. Even funnier hearing it from some of the street bros.

This film definitely has the potential of being a great Gay man's cult flick, ala The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Would suggest best viewed at one of those late night party-like viewings complete with drag queens, sing-alongs and quoted lines. Yes, even in German. It's not that complicated for a few good quotes.

It's on Hulu for anyone interested.

FYI: Oh, not for the kiddies.  ;)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 06:16:27 pm »
Big Chill = Worst Movie Ever Made
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2010, 06:20:30 pm »
And absolutely the funniest movie of recent memory was "In The Loop" absolutely hilarious, even the out takes were great....  then again it's probably far to high brow for any fan of Apatow.
T.Rex