Author Topic: flat-screen tv recommendations  (Read 14761 times)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Re: flat-screen tv recommendations
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 03:36:58 pm »
A friend uses it and swears by it. I was rather surprised as her taste is pretty obscure, but she seems to always have plenty of things to watch.

Anyone here using the Netflix player from Roku?
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 04:15:28 pm »
Anyone here using the Netflix player from Roku?

Never needed one because I have four other devices that act as Netflix players (Xbox, TiVo (2), HTPC), but I can't imagine it acting any differently than my devices.  I LOVE mine and it really depends on two things:

(1) Internet connection speed (greater speed=greater quality)
(2) If netflix "watch Instantly" has enough titles to satisfy your needs.

Otherwise it's a CBA of Roku stand alone vs other multifunction devices (game consoles, blu-ray players, home theater setups) that also stream netflix/your home collection/pandora etc.  Here's a list.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 04:34:19 pm »
While we're at it, anyone using mlb.tv on any streaming devices?  My gf is white sox fan, and the roku is adding this channel, so that makes it more interesting.  Plus, for only $99 it's not much to shell out for the hardware.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 10:31:01 pm »
I was uaware of TiVo Premiere. What's that run?

Just an update - the Premiere has been a bit of a nightmare for us in the first week.  I would recoomend holding off on one.  TiVo has clearly not finished creating this UI and it's constantly causing problems.

So unless you're up for being an unpaid beta tester, the version that has made it to market is wholly unreliable.  Very disappointing from a company I once held in very high regard.
Thanks for the update. We were literally buying one this upcoming weekend, but not now.

vansmack

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »
Allow me to elaborate a little more here.

The problems I'm having really stem from the new HD interface, but it can be turned off (which I have done until they get it worked out).  Essentially, I'm left with a Series 3 Tivo (or TIvoHD) with a faster processor and larger hard drive.  The SD UI is nearly identical to the S3 UI, only with a faster processor. 

So if you have a Series 2 Tivo, like it and want to record in HD then by all means, upgrade to a Premiere (and you should do so through Tivo.com for a discount - I upgraded a series 2 for about $220).  Just be prepared to turn off the HD UI.

If you have a Series 3/TivoHD and like it, then the only reason why you would want to upgrade is because you find it too laggy or you need/want more recording space (and you should do so through Tivo.com for a discount).

If you have a cable co DVR and want to replace it with a TiVo, then by all means grab a premiere.  It's still cheaper than the Series 3 when it came out and is more powerful.  Just be prepared to turn off the HD UI.

This thing will get better, but if you're buying it for all the cool stuff TiVo showed off at the big press conference, forget about it for at least a month, and I don't think I'm making a stretch here when I say wait 3 months.

And special note to Julian - you should buy a new one through Tivo.com to get the discount.  They even offered me the ability to keep my exisiting TiVo for $10 a month and add the Premiere so an "upgrade" should be read as "add additional."  I saved about $70 on the first Premiere vs the retail price I paid for the second one at Best Buy, plus $3 off the monthly service.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:56:33 pm by vansmack »
27>34