Author Topic: Spoon show  (Read 2143 times)

Bags

Spoon show
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:05:53 am »
So figured I'd move convo from Roll Call to a new thread.  Trying to get opinions on whether it's worth trying to get there for Deerhunter.  Also, I heard the set times ran late last night -- maybe this is why there are no set times listed for tonight on the website's front page?

FAQ had following for Monday show:

7:00 PM Doors
8:00 Strange Boys
8:50 Deerhunter
10:15 Spoon

azaghal1981

Re: Spoon show
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:09:50 am »
They stuck exactly to those set times. Spoon were off by 11:47.

I liked the Strange Boys but Deerhunter aren't anything special. Run-of-the-mill indie-pop with MBV ripoff moments here and there. I preferred them back when their entire set was one long MBV/old Black Dice knockoff.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:11:24 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

James Ford

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:28:05 am »
Stay home and play the MBV and arrive at 9:45 to avoid Deerhunter would be my advice.

And according to my friend who was there the whole time, the bands came on promptly.

dave24

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:08 am »
The bands were all quite prompt - both openers were adequate, but not special.  If you have better things to do, and aren't picky about your spot, you can just show up around 9:45-10:00

BookerT

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:41:55 pm »
i like deerhunter but they were boring last night. i won't be getting there early enough to see them tonight. brennser's "first half - B, second half - A" review for spoon is pretty spot on. they did 23 songs and played exactly 90 minutes.

James Ford

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 01:07:42 pm »
i like deerhunter but they were boring last night. i won't be getting there early enough to see them tonight. brennser's "first half - B, second half - A" review for spoon is pretty spot on. they did 23 songs and played exactly 90 minutes.

That was actually my Spoon review, but ya have to give props to Brennser for taking a piss on Deerhunter.

BookerT

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 01:13:10 pm »

That was actually my Spoon review, but ya have to give props to Brennser for taking a piss on Deerhunter.

my bad. i was right by the soundboard and it sounded especially sharp. no real reason to be up close for spoon except to admire britt's always-perfectly-tousled hair.

James Ford

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:26:25 pm »

my bad. i was right by the soundboard and it sounded especially sharp. no real reason to be up close for spoon except to admire britt's always-perfectly-tousled hair.

Yep. My wife retreated to the back...probably close to you...while I was an idiot and stayed up front. She also said it sounded great back there. Note to James: follow C's instincts.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 08:30:45 pm »
Last trains are at 11:50 to Branch and 11:52 to Huntington for anyone who cares.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:32:48 pm »
Chalk me up as one of those guys who really only cares about Gimme Fiction, Ga Ga Ga and the new album, but I will be interested to hear all the songs. First time seeing them, and although my enthusiasm has tempered about the band lately, I'm still looking forward to seeing them. Haven't been to a concert in a while, need to blow off some steam at a good show and kick off a great spring.

James Ford

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 12:28:42 pm »
Spoon will be playing live in KEXP at 5pm PST today/tonight.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 11:07:38 pm »
hmmm Holly Miranda was on KEXP at 3pm...I wonder if they met and are now friends...hmmmm
PANTS