Author Topic: islands??  (Read 1455 times)

jpauls20

islands??
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:10:00 am »
they are really good... anybody else going tomorrow nite??

Guiny

Re: islands??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 08:25:00 am »
Nope, went to the Cayman Islands two weeks ago and no other "Islands" compare right now.    ;)

thingsfallapart

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Nope, went to the Cayman Islands two weeks ago and no other "Islands" compare right now.     ;)  
Yeah I'll be there.

Darth Ed

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 09:56:00 am »
I'll be there! Really looking forward to it...

amnesiac

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 11:29:00 am »
I read that they put on an awesome show, but I'm not really feeling the album.  There are some really good songs on there, but I prefer The Unicorns.  I wish I had gotten to see them instead...

SalParadise

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:00:00 pm »
estoy ahi.

megs

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 04:05:00 pm »
i saw them at an instore in Brooklyn this weekend and they were great. looking forward to the show tonight.

jpauls20

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 02:29:00 am »
could not make the show.. how was it...did they play that song about the yeti?? love that song

thingsfallapart

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by jpauls20:
  could not make the show.. how was it...did they play that song about the yeti?? love that song
It was a pretty good show, surprising rocking.

Darth Ed

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by jpauls20:
"Abominable Snow"? I think they played it, but I'm not sure.

I thought the show was "just OK," but that may have just been me. My seasonal allergies hit me hard last night. My 24-Hour Claritin must have either worn off or was ineffectual against the pollen onslaught. Anyway, I was kind of in a allergy-induced dazed throughout the entire show and wasn't really enjoying myself all that much as a result.

Islands performed well enough. Many of their songs sounded a bit different from their album, but that's cool. I kind of got an Arcade Fire vibe from them, but where Arcade Fire would go nuts and give everything they had for the audience, Islands were a bit more pretentious and reserved. They held back their best stuff, hoarding it for a later day. Perhaps the Black Cat audience deserved it, but Islands didn't exactly win me over as a result.

The Black Cat audience was more annoying than usual though.  There were a couple of loud talkers up front. When some guy near me politely asked them to be quiet or move to the rear, the loud-talking male decided to impress his loud-talking girlfriend by talking even louder and generally being an ass. Then, apparently some people from New Orleans seemingly took exception to Islands not performing there during the tour and made a big scene. WTF? During one quiet song, the Islands frontman actually shushed the crowd. I enjoyed that, but, after the main set ended, the lead singer for Why? came out and admonished the audience for not applauding more. I thought that was extremely tacky. I immediately stopped applauding on principle. Anyway, they did then come out for an encore, and I'm glad they did because the encore was a definite highlight of the show. The show ended at 12:15! That's the latest I can recall a Black Cat show ending on a weeknight in a very long time.

jpauls20

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 03:54:00 pm »
thanks for the review... I always found the crowds at black cat to be interesting... the wolf parade show was similar...

groovyside

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 08:39:00 am »
the wash post review:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/26/AR2006042602248.html

Islands' Rhythms Keep Audience From Drifting
 Thursday, April 27, 2006; Page C04

With Canadian rock ensembles getting larger and larger these days -- witness the eight-member Arcade Fire and the 16-piece Broken Social Scene -- fellow countrymen Islands seem pretty small with only seven members. But for singer-guitarist-keyboardist Nick Diamonds and drummer J'aime Tambeur, that must seem enormous compared with their previous group, the three-piece Unicorns.

At the Black Cat on Tuesday night, the seven musicians switched styles as easily as they changed instruments; their cache included two violins, a recorder, a clarinet, a keyboard, three guitars, a bass and drums. The melodic "Humans" hinted at Queen's dramatic quirkiness, while the danceable "Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby" recalled some of Animal Collective's more conventional songs. The group was joined by two rappers on "Where There's a Will There's a Whalebone," and the sprawling 10-minute "Swans (Life After Death)" built into an orchestral grand finale.

The relatively short set, a little more than an hour, kept the songs engaging. Only during the quiet tunes did the audience begin to chatter: Just before a sultry bass clarinet line in "If," Diamonds shushed the crowd, playfully giving the "zip it" sign. Very few heeded his wish -- at least until the next song, the captivatingly raucous "I Feel Evil," locked their attention for the rest of the show.

-- Catherine P. Lewis