Author Topic: Isis & Melvins  (Read 1618 times)

blipvurt

Isis & Melvins
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:22:10 pm »
WLDC review

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/06/18/we-love-music-isis-the-melvins-930-club-61610/

Who was there? What did you think of the show?

Unsanity

Re: Isis & Melvins
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:13:21 pm »
I was there. I love how there is no mention of the first band, Totimoshi. They were pretty good and unique for a sludge band. The Melvins were damn good as usual. They have their shit down. What is this humor the author keeps mentioning? They had super hero costumes on but thats about it. Maybe some of the songs are humorous? Who knows. They were seriously loud this time, the feedback was incredible. Mosh pits were freakin' crazy.

As for Isis, they were pretty good too. Not as good as the Black Cat show with Pelican a year ago but still they gave it a valiant effort. It felt like a greatest hits type set. They were rocking out a lot on that stage. The crowd was slow to react but eventually the whole place was moving. One song kinda sucked but as a whole I liked their set and was glad to see it. Farewell Isis.

blipvurt

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:51:36 pm »
I was not able to get there in time for Totimoshi's set - so I didn't include them in the write up. I am sorry to have missed them. Glad to hear they were pretty good.

Melvins' humor - I was referring to some of the songs rather than their banter(which was minimal). Some of the timing gags within songs gets a little "wink-wink, nudge nudge" for my tastes. Also some of their vocal deliver is a bit goofy in my opinion. I prefer straight sludge, crushing like there final stretch of songs that night. I'm seeing them again at the Am Rep 25th Anniversary in Minneapolis in August and am looking forward to it. Melvins are always different from show to show. Curious what they'll bring next time.

walkonby

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:20:40 pm »
i always enjoy reading write ups mixed with personal opinions . . . from fans of bands i've never listened to or seen live or don't know if i would even have any interest in.  better than normal reading.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:47:58 am »
I thought the show was awesome, although i don't think the crowd was ever really "moving" when Isis was on, except for the head bobs.
3MTA3

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:05 am »
Melvins were fantastic. Isis is a band that sounds like something I should love on paper but have never done anything for me.

That double drum assault is something to behold.
احمد