Author Topic: Noise-rock  (Read 1647 times)

blipvurt

Noise-rock
« on: August 10, 2010, 03:08:51 pm »
Anyone go to Keelhaul & Unsane up in B'more last week? What'd ya think?

Here's my review:

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/08/10/we-love-music-unsane-keehaul-ottobar-8710/

Anyone going to Am Rep 25 in Minneapolis later this month?

Unsanity

Re: Noise-rock
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:28:47 am »
Damn. That review makes me wish I would have gone. I had a free ticket too. I just couldn't find a ride up to Baltimore. I have seen all the bands that were on the bill before. Unsane twice at Ottobar, Keelhaul at that Velvet Lounge gig and Surroundings (who were not mentioned in the article but are Baltimore's BEST hardcore band btw, fresh off Maryland Death Fest) many times. So I don't feel too bad.

People were talking about loud shows in some other thread and I can say for certain that Unsane were the loudest band I have ever seen. I dragged a friend who usually only listens to hip-hop to one of their shows a few years back and he literally got sick from all the low rumbles and general cacophony they produce.

Were there only like 8-10 people at this gig like their other shows? 

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:15:33 am »
Way more than 8-10 but the place wasn't packed.  Shame about that.

I scored a free ticket to the show and have to say I really enjoyed it.  I will also say I knew I was going to pay for leaving the earplugs at home when the 2nd band on the bill played so loud that the guitars screamed feedback when they weren't being played.  Things only got louder - and better - from there.  Keelhaul were tight as hell.  Unsane basically played Scattered and a handful of their best known tunes (with the exception of Body Bomb).  They were great.  No doubt one of the better shows I've seen all year.

My first time seeing either Keelhaul or Unsane (long time fan of that band).  Also my first time at the Ottobar.  Needless to say I've been missing out because it's a great venue.  Easy as hell to get to, as well.

blipvurt

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:18:10 am »
There was a decent sized crowd - not packed in though. Probably a good thing or there may have been trouble.

I missed the first band (Surroundings) - now I regret it.

Didn't care much for the secon band - some crew from PA.

BTW - Thanks for reading.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:23:47 am »
First band was better than the 2nd.  Didn't catch the name to either.  2nd band was just bursts of noise (not always a bad thing, of course).

Funny that you mentioned the spitting.  Pretty big balls of spit were shot to the celing and I don't remember seeing a single one come back down.

Good write-up.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 07:17:08 pm »
One thing I'll say for BYT... back when they were pimping their site here, they kept it to one thread...
_\|/_

blipvurt

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »
StoneTheCrow - I noticed the anti-grav spit action too. How'd he do that?

blipvurt

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:33:46 am »

Did anyone else make the trek out to Minneapolis for the Am Rep party? It was the noise-rock party of the year!

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/08/31/we-love-music-amphetamine-reptile-records-25th-anniversary-bash/

Unsanity

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:19 am »
Cool write up. Wish I coulda been there.