Author Topic: Worst album review, ever  (Read 6326 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Worst album review, ever
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 11:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I have never listened to these guys, but just bought the record...from what I've heard, it's pretty solid. So if this album is good, I guess their others are pretty great too? Should I get the Dirty South next?
"the dirty south" and "decoration day" both have really solid songs ... it's tough to choose between the two, especially because "decoration day" is the first thing i heard by them, but "the dirty south" probably wins out for me in the long run ... can't go wrong with either, though

but i might suggest that you get "southern rock opera" next ... it's sprawling (2 CD), and there's monologues and some preachiness, but it's a fantastic introduction to their worldview (skynyrd infatuation, southern upbringing) and there are still plenty of succint, rocking songs ("let there be rock", "dead drunk and naked", etc)

definitely one of my favorite bands ... i really don't understand why they're not embraced more by mainstream rock, they have a really accessible sound and a very "salt of the earth" message

oh, "pizza deliverance" and "gangstabilly" are both good, but just not on the same level as their more recent stuff
(o|o)

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 11:34:49 am »
احمد

radley17

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 12:50:57 pm »
if you're a glutton for punishment click and read the dudes other reviews

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 08:14:50 pm »
No seriously

with bloggers like that out there, no wonder joe has such horrible taste in music.
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 11:27:37 pm »
Did this fool know that he was supposed to be doing an album review?

Oh, wait. Someone has an antenna hooked up to their radio/MP3 player. Maybe we can tune into police bands and the cell phones of passing motorists. Then we can write about them for the new (band name) album and how they harmonize with the melodies. A new kind of Random Rap music.

atomicfront

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 12:50:55 am »
I could have shortened this review:

"Seriously the Drive by truckers are a terrible, terrible band and I don't know why anyone would bother listening to anything they put out"

But I agree what a previous poster posted.  Why would you ever read an album review?  Written word can not describe music.  And you can download or listen to anything you want for free so why not do that instead of reading something from someone who either has an agenda, wants to look cool, wants to agree with what every one else is saying or just has diffferent taste than you?

Radiohead "In Rainbows" has to be proof that.  Great reviews everywhere but I can't think of an album I think less of. 

Relaxer

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 09:40:03 am »
Yeah, and why bother reading the newspaper? Its just a lot of stories about the Supreme Court and shit. You wanna know about the Supreme Court? Then go to law school, secure a good clerkship, spend ten years at a firm, elevate to judgeship, be nominated to a federal bench and then 20 years later, get nominated to the highest court in the land. I mean, pbbst, its not rocket science and you don't get to the Supreme Court by bleedin' reading. Well, apart from all those law cases and stuff. Just go out and live life and get to the Supreme Court all by yourself.
oword

walkonby

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:07 am »
here's hoping you can download yourself for free into the supreme court . . . otherwise, nobody will want to do it.

bearman🐻

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:57 am »
As a former author of LP reviews, I'd disagree. When I was about 14 years old I was trying to figure out what to spend my limited money on, album reviews often were helpful. Later on I realized I didn't always agree with them, but once upon a time they helped me discover a LOT of great music. Nowadays, all you need to do is hop online to hear music instead of going to a store to buy it. I still sometimes read reviews because if a writer does it well, their opinion does count for something in my book. Sometimes reviews have useful information. Maybe the author had access to details about how the record came together, or what sorts of obstacles were there in the recording process. This reviewer, however, is tragic.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 10:01:16 am »
it's hard to believe this is the same website that reviewed Univers Zero.

the Corin Tucker Band review is just as bad:

http://dustedmagazine.com/reviews/6010

No seriously

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 10:05:45 am »
Dusted is great over all. It's just that that one reviewer is a joke. Their reviews far surpass the crap on that other site 19 times out of 20.

I actually meant to bump a different "worst review of an album ever" thread that I started years ago.
احمد