Author Topic: What is everyone doing tonite?  (Read 1946 times)

Vas Deferens

What is everyone doing tonite?
« on: August 05, 2006, 05:02:00 pm »
Thinking of going to Rentals but it's a very late show..ugh.

And I don't think I can stand Ozma.
(_|_)

kookiemnstr8

Re: What is everyone doing tonite?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »
Possibly going to see Simon Dawes out at Jammin' Java and then maybe heading down to the club for some late night Rentals action.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »
right now I'm listening to the wreckers awaiting the rentals show
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 08:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  right now I'm listening to the wreckers awaiting the rentals show
Wreckers?? ICK... Are they on stage?
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 09:21:00 pm »
not anymore  :D
T.Rex

Barcelona

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »
in guyana I am a bit lost. are these the Rentals of Friends of P? should be good to hear songs from that first album. would also be good to hear the song Barcelona from the second, although weak, album at the 9:30.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 12:34:00 am »
I'm still recovering from last(Friday) night! Didn't get in until after 5:00AM and have been beat all day. Now that's it technically Sunday, I'm finally waking up.

Random Citizen

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 01:46:00 am »
I've spent the evening reading...and wishing I could go back in time and re-live last weekend.  :D  But quiet weekends make me appreciate the fun ones that much more, so I can't complain.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 02:02:00 am »
Great show! No barcelona, cruise, getting by, or big daddy c...but great nonetheless! I Just Threw Out The Love Of My Dreams was awesome...w/ matt on bass in the same place he stood on the pinkerton tour. Glad I stayed up.

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 02:19:00 am »
OK, at the risk of sounding like a fanboy geek, I am just going to gush like a schoolgirl and say how fucking awesome the Germs show was...it easily goes down as one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Forget that Darby Crash is dead. Forget that a decent (at times really good, other times just OK) singer named Shane West replaced him. Let's focus on the music and the people behind it: Don Bolles, Lorna Doom and Pat Smear. The crowd went pretty apeshit from the get-go and I was right up front. Before I knew it, my face was quite literally in Pat Smear's guitar. So the tunes just keep coming...they opened with "Manimal" and from there it went batshit crazy.

So here are my highlights of the show:

1) Having Shane West point out my Screamers t-shirt, saying that it was cool and having the rest of the band nod in agreement.
 2) Getting to play Pat's guitar with my teeth (or at least biting the shit out of his strings).
 3) Seizing a piece of broken guitar that some dude brought up on stage for Pat to play, only to have him smash it to bits.
 4) Having Don Bolles sign my broken guitar piece as "Kurt Crash".
 5) Getting to talk to Lorna after the show...she gave me a hug and I gave her a kiss on the cheek. Fucking priceless...and what a sweet, incredible person she is. She says they will come back to DC again.

The music was fantastic...Pat really nailed a lot of those songs and I can appreciate his guitar playing on a whole other level.

Other crazy stuff: the fist fight after the show where one guy hit a dreadlocked guy right in the face, then threw a glass at him that shattered, leaving his face a bloody mess. It was pretty surreal.

To sum up, if you missed this show then you really fucked up. This was just one of those wonderful surprises that happen when you walk in with few expectations and let the band do their thing. Darby might have been a lyrical genius, but he was still a fuck-up and he gave erratic performances and was always on something. Shane may be an actor, but he held his own and ultimately let the music speak for itself.

Anyone else go? Thoughts??

Venerable Bede

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 12:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:

Forget that Darby Crash is dead. Forget that a decent (at times really good, other times just OK) singer named Shane West replaced him.
you do know that shane west is one of the doctors on ER, right?
OU812

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 01:23:00 pm »
He also, the last time I checked, had a terrible voice.  Stupid actors and their music careers.

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »
It's not like he's singing Mariah Carey songs; the guys playing with the Germs!

Originally posted by you be betty:
  He also, the last time I checked, had a terrible voice.  Stupid actors and their music careers.

bearman🐻

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »
Yeah, and Darby's pipes were so amazing. Come on...has anyone read the book Lexicon Devil? Darby was no saint, and he's been dead for 26 years. I would hardly say that this is the case of a band cashing in. In fact, I really feel for the rest of the band. They never got to tour or really enjoy any level of recognition or success beyond the LA punk scene while they were together. And do you really think that Shane West is looking at touring with the Germs as a good career move? Do you think that many people will be aware of him as a result of this tour? And that he enjoys getting heckled on a nightly basis? Personally, more power to him for having the guts to take a job this tough. I agree with Bombay Chutney in the other thread...he's in a no-win situation. And I don't watch ER or give a crap about the show...all I have heard about the show lately is that John Mahoney is making a guest appearance in some episode as an aging drag queen.