Author Topic: Intel inside, no longer evil  (Read 1543 times)

markie

Intel inside, no longer evil
« on: June 06, 2005, 02:18:00 pm »
The Horror, The Horror!

Chip Chanko

Re: Intel inside, no longer evil
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 02:46:00 pm »
Engadget  had funnier commentary for those that want to read the same news twice.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
terrible, why would i pay more for a mac? doesn't make any sense to me. if they can get it down to the same price as a pc...dunno if they have the same appeal. i dunno
o/\o

markie

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
You pay more for a mac because of the OS. The mac OS is still only going to run on Apple machines. Nothing is going to change.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 11:57:00 am »
no, you pay more for the processor, so you can run photoshop and shit faster, too. they haven't exactly said that you won't be able to install the intel version of osx on a any machine, but it sounds like you will be able to install xp on the intel apples. how will they be able to stop installation of unix software on the same processor? dunno
o/\o

markie

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 12:10:00 pm »
apple have not had much of a photoshop adavantage for a while.

I suspect that apples will only run mac OS and that mac OS will only run on apples. Apple stated after the Gil Amelio years and the clone wars that they were a computer producer and did not see enough money to be made from just selling an OS. I doubt there has been a seachange.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:20:00 pm »
well, it ought to be interesting how they pull that off. i've had my ibook for about 4 years, the advantage was there at the time. i really sounded too negative anyway, i guess there may be a way to make an intel mac that is a superior machine to a pc, the details aren't there yet

have to admit that the apparent impossiblity of a g5 laptop may make this a good move.
o/\o

markie

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:

have to admit that the apparent impossiblity of a g5 laptop may make this a good move.
Yeah, it would appear that the impossibility led to the intel switch. Its good for me as I have two G4 powerbooks and I am happy for them not to be obsolete for a while.

joz

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 02:03:00 pm »
i had been toying with the idea of buying a new imac or powerbook but i'm glad i waited...when i talked to someone at apple 6 months ago about whether there would ever be a g5 powerbook they said it would be impossible with the current chips because they run too hot. in fact, the tech's exact quote was "it's not even on the drawing board". guess that's all changed now. glad i waited.

here's an interesting piece in today's wired online:
  Apple and Intel OK With Coders

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 12:20:00 pm »