Author Topic: Top 10 Leasy/Most Stressful Cities  (Read 3359 times)

vansmack

Re: Top 10 Leasy/Most Stressful Cities
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  That's rather shocking, given all of the skinny twentysomethings you see roaming around NW. Must be the folks in the other quadrants.

No, Rhett, I left a few months ago so I threw the average way back up!
27>34

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 02:36:00 pm »
Hey Smackie, you think Gibbs' new job will affect his race teams performance at all?

Originally posted by vansmack:

That's rather shocking, given all of the skinny twentysomethings you see roaming around NW. Must be the folks in the other quadrants.

No, Rhett, I left a few months ago so I threw the average way back up! [/b]

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 02:42:00 pm »
  Hey Smackie, you think Gibbs' new job will affect his race teams performance at all?

There's no doubt it will and I can't see it being a positive at all.  I 'm really bummed for Tony, but he seems to think Joe's son JD will do a fine job managing the racing team.
27>34

grotty

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  Actually, DC did make on one list...Top 25 Fattest Cities
  [
No Pittsburgh huh?
 I guess all the slim Lithuanians live here.

grotty

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 03:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:

No Pittsburgh huh?
 I guess all the slim Lithuanians live here. [/b][/QUOTE]

Or maybe just a bunch of shrinking geezers (just talking to myself)

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 03:24:00 pm »
Will be interesting indeed. I think Bobby and Tony both locked themselves into long term contracts recently. Hope it pans out for both of them.

There's no doubt it will and I can't see it being a positive at all.  I 'm really bummed for Tony, but he seems to think Joe's son JD will do a fine job managing the racing team. [/b]

mankie

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 03:33:00 pm »

There's no doubt it will and I can't see it being a positive at all.  I 'm really bummed for Tony, but he seems to think Joe's son JD will do a fine job managing the racing team. [/b]
Admittedly I don't know what the hell I'm talking about here, but it's never stopped me in the past...but Joe Gibbs did say in an interview that his son has been basically running the race team for some time now, so it should be an invisible transition for them.

All the lads here at work are hoping Joe comes to visit our race team, seeing as we're so close to the practice facility.

Dandy01

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2004, 04:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Dandy01:
  Where is DC?
i think its between Maryland and Virginia. [/b]
har har, smart arse!   :p

Celeste

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 04:47:00 pm »
 [QB] That's rather shocking, given all of the skinny twentysomethings you see roaming around NW. Must be the folks in the other quadrants.

no...it's just that many of the criteria don't really measure the PEOPLE, they measures factors that would or could contribute to fatness, actually...one can easily see how these factors would skew the results to make DC look "fatter" than it is...

Gyms/Sporting Goods.
 The theory here: If you don't have the gear, you'll get a big rear. Cities were rated on the total number of gyms, health clubs, fitness studios, and sporting-goods retailers per 100,000 residents.

Nutrition.
 Cities were rated on the percentage of residents eating the recommended five or more daily servings of fruits and vegetables -- and on the number of health-food stores per 100,000 people.

Junk Food.
 Cities lost points for the number of fast-food outlets, pizza joints, ice-cream shops, and doughnut stores per 100,000 people.
 Exercise/Sports. Cities were ranked according to total participation in 103 sports and fitness activities.

Overweight/Sedentary.
 Yep, the CDC actually has state-by-state numbers for the percentage of the population that is obese, overweight, and/or not exercising. Cities lost points for being in these states.

Alcohol.
 Cities lost points for the total number of bars per 100,000 people and state alcohol consumption.
 TV. Those Nielsen ratings don't just tell which shows are most popular. They also show which areas are getting the most boob-tube time.

Air Quality.
 Yes, air affects fitness. Cities lost points for ozone-alert days.

Climate.
 It's not clear what a city can do about this, short of building a huge dome. But cities lost points for days that were too cold, too hot, or too wet. They gained points for mild, sunny days.

Geography.
 Access to outdoor recreation -- forests, lakes, rivers, mountains, beaches, etc. -- was plus for a city.

Commute.
 Yep, the Men's Fitness editors figure that the more time you spend in traffic, the more stress you feel and the worse fitness you'll have.

Parks/Open Space.
 Total acreage of parks, federal and state recreation areas, and open spaces per 10,000 people added points to city fitness scores.

Recreation Facilities.
  Add up those public basketball courts, public pools, public tennis courts, and, yes, public golf courses. Divide by 10,000 people and add it to a city's fitness score.

Health Care.
 The survey ranked cities on access to health-care facilities.

Jaguär

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2004, 08:49:00 pm »
Baltimore should be somewhere on that stressed out city list. Except on rare occassions, I avoid that cess pool like the plague because it stresses me out.

About the fat listing:
 23. Baltimore. Last year: 20

The only reason it dropped in points is because a lot more of them were murdered this past year.

paige

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2004, 09:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  well, shit i guess Omaha is pretty stress free.

all you have to do is worry about when the next big 311 homecoming is!
actually, those emo babies are dying with anticipation for when all those saddle creek kiddies coome back home

godsshoeshine

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2004, 03:05:00 pm »

No Pittsburgh huh?
 I guess all the slim Lithuanians live here. [/b]
Or maybe just a bunch of shrinking geezers (just talking to myself) [/b][/QUOTE]no pgh proves that the list is bullshit. pittsburgh is waaaaay fatter than dc, or at least looks it. they put fries on sandwiches and salads for christ's sake
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2004, 03:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Baltimore should be somewhere on that stressed out city list.
why?  

Ignorance is bliss!!  and besides, if you have no house, no job and a drinking problem, you arent very "stressed" i assume.  and even if you were, no one would want to survey you about it  ;)