Author Topic: Rank the Pearl Jam drummers  (Read 11833 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: Rank the Pearl Jam drummers
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 04:48:58 pm »
Dave A. was great in his own way. He did write "Go."

Where did you read that? I noticed on, say, allmusic that all the Vs. songs are listed to the full band. Compared to Vs., the songs on Ten are pretty obvious. Ed did the lyrics, Stone did a few songs, Ed wrote Porch himself, etc. It would be interesting to learn who else primarily wrote the songs that are attributed to the entire band.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »
Never completely understood why Dave A. was kicked out of the band.  The reasons I heard seemed awfully hypocritical.

Conventional wisdom is that Dave A wanted to be a rock star and live the rock star life while the band was huge and Ed (and supposedly the rest of the band) wanted to recede from the spotlight and become more artsy. I've never been big on reading unauthorized biographies about bands, but I believe that is the case. Jack Irons has basically been very sick his whole life, and so he could only fill in for a few albums before Cameron took over.

vansmack

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 05:06:12 pm »
It would be interesting to learn who else primarily wrote the songs that are attributed to the entire band.

God it's been a long time, but if I remember correctly "Release" was the only song attributed to the entire band on Ten, and when I purchased the guitar tab book (before tabs were freely available on the internet...), "Release" was not available in the book with a disclaimer about not being able to establish all the rights.  I always assumed they couldn't work a deal out with Dave K...
27>34

serpent boy

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 05:59:30 pm »

Where did you read that? I noticed on, say, allmusic that all the Vs. songs are listed to the full band. Compared to Vs., the songs on Ten are pretty obvious. Ed did the lyrics, Stone did a few songs, Ed wrote Porch himself, etc. It would be interesting to learn who else primarily wrote the songs that are attributed to the entire band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(Pearl_Jam_song)
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vs._(Pearl_Jam_album)

Dave A. wrote most of "Go" and collaborated with Jeff on "W.M.A." (no surprise there). He was also a big part of "Last Exit."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:01:29 pm by serpent boy »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 07:22:18 pm »

Once a band fires their original drummer(s) and gets one "who can play our more mature, challenging material", it's all over.  The band slowly starts climbing up their own ass.  Case in point:  Pearl Jam.  Another case in point: Oasis.  They peaked with their first album and first six singles.  "Wonderwall?"  Brushes.  It's James Taylor!

Other than the obvious singles, Definitely Maybe is pretty unlistenable now due to the ham fisted embarrassedly bad drumming.   Oasis began to suck, because Noel was at best an average songwriter who clearly wasn't find anymore inspiration while watching tv.
T.Rex

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:31 pm »

Other than the obvious singles, Definitely Maybe is pretty unlistenable now due to the ham fisted embarrassedly bad drumming.   

What the hell are you talking about?  "Digsy's Dinner" or "Slide Away" are embarassing to listen to now because of their drumming?!?!  You're trying to tell me they'd be greatly improved if Steve Gadd played on them?  That's like saying the Ramones would have been better with a better drummer.

Brian

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 07:43:40 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(Pearl_Jam_song)
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vs._(Pearl_Jam_album)

Dave A. wrote most of "Go" and collaborated with Jeff on "W.M.A." (no surprise there). He was also a big part of "Last Exit."

Cool, thanks for sharing. So who wrote Dirty Frank?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 08:22:43 pm »

Other than the obvious singles, Definitely Maybe is pretty unlistenable now due to the ham fisted embarrassedly bad drumming.   

What the hell are you talking about?  "Digsy's Dinner" or "Slide Away" are embarassing to listen to now because of their drumming?!?!  You're trying to tell me they'd be greatly improved if Steve Gadd played on them?  That's like saying the Ramones would have been better with a better drummer.

Brian

What do the Ramones or Steve Gadd have to do my opinion that the drumming on 1st Oasis album makes it unlistenable.  Oh wait one isn't allowed to a differing opinion to the almighty you...
T.Rex

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 09:33:41 am »

Brian

The Ramones would've been better with a better everything.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 09:41:11 am »

Brian

The Ramones would've been better with a better everything.

oh shut up.