Author Topic: SXSW - Any tips for a first-time attendee?  (Read 1502 times)

StoneTheCrow

SXSW - Any tips for a first-time attendee?
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:04:26 pm »
Looks likely (tho not a lock)  that I may trek down to Austin in March for this.  First tie I have done this sort of thing and it looks like it could be awesome but I want to make sure I don't return thinking I didn't make the most of it.

I know they have a FAQ for beginners on their website but wondered if anyone here has been and has any words of wisdom to share.  Things I should/shouldn't do up front?  Do while I'm there?  Avoid at all costs?

Hotel is set.

notme

Re: SXSW - Any tips for a first-time attendee?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:24:30 pm »
don't buy a wristband or badge.  just see the free stuff.  wristbands and badges do not guarantee entry into any venue.  when they reach capacity, nobody gets in.  the best acts play late in the day, so if you do not get there early, you probably will not get in.  i have seen bands selling their wristbands on craigslist in austin.  supposedly band wristbands have first priority over everyone.  plus they have artist only areas with free food everywhere.  you should also get a bicycle to get from one venue to another quickly.  cars don't move very fast during sxsw.  make a list with what you want to see with plan b's + c's.  things do not always run on time, always good to have a plan b.  music goes from noon to 2am every day with after parties going until 4-5am. 

StoneTheCrow

Re: SXSW - Any tips for a first-time attendee?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:10 pm »
Thanks.  That's exactly what I wanted.  I've already heard how we need to get badges and stuff as soon as they're available.  Guess not.