Author Topic: How soon until STPP is SXSW?  (Read 2234 times)

notme

How soon until STPP is SXSW?
« on: October 05, 2012, 02:48:50 pm »
are any of the bands/shows worth checking out?

HoyaSaxa03

Re: How soon until STPP is SXSW?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »
LMGTFY
(o|o)

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:40:04 pm »
I went to Velvet on Saturday for the last few hours of the Twin Lakes showcase. Good time. The Erik Satie thing was excellent as were Source of Yellow but the PG Six set was screwed up because Velvet don't care about those upstairs and have a DJ blasting away downstairs while people are trying to listen to an acoustic set.
احمد

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »
I was initially sad about having to miss PG Six.  Then I remembered the problem that you observed.

TVD

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:59:35 pm »
Hysterical.

killsaly

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 11:54:43 am »
From Dave Mann today:
"Geez! I must be a different person because I no longer want to be super ambitious about these festivals...it's definitely not about "quantity vs quality" (although, we had A LOT of awesome bands this year) but rather, I am finding out that if there are a lot of great bands playing...

People need to be able to check them out (if not most of them) and that can't happen if they are scattered throughout three different neighborhoods and the scheduled times aren't staggered out.

I'm learning! I'm learning! I will say though that I am really, really proud of the #stppfest2012 bands (and my amazing stppfest committee members!!!) that really made this happen with their team work mentality! If that's not DIY, I don't know what is."
I really wanted to go, but all of the showcases that I cared about were on Saturday.  The festival was just so massive and spread out... I was almost overwhelmed just looking at the line ups and locations.  All of DC cannot be a festival location.  At some point it needs to be centralized.  I hope it is smaller next year, and maybe they can use ScapeScape as an example (80 bands over three days at four venues within a five minute walk of each other) and can grow while also shrinking.

Did anyone go?  Thoughts?

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »
I would have loved to have seen Dead Leaf Echo but they conflicted with PG Six. So yeah the conflict thing is a big issue.
احمد