Author Topic: record store black friday  (Read 2215 times)

dyecraig

record store black friday
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »
anyone make it yesterday?
seemed pretty low key and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

got my top 2:
upsetters - super ape (unbelievable 23x23 cover art poster, bonus dubs, cool etched 4th side)
nick cave - live (picked up the cd and ordered the lp from his website so I wouldn't be crushed)

and:
grinch - green vinyl!
miles - jazz track (mono, original cover)
linus & lucy 7" (gold vinyl)
sly 7" (2 things left off the recent box set which i'm still happily working through)

cd cellar falls church has a new all-vinyl store upstairs where the fortune teller used to be
blue groove's prices are seriously jacked up compared to the rest of the world

other than getting home to enjoy, the best part of the day was being in line with some fine people talking about something we love, regardless of genre - what a blast.

stevewizzle

Re: record store black friday
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:55:49 pm »
i picked up the foals cctv sessions and matador's it's been a business doing pleasure with you sampler.

that sampler was one of my best purchases of the year.  at $5, it includes some of my favorite artists from this past year, and has an excellent QOTSA live track.  really couldn't be happier.

unfortunately, my copy and my exchanged copy of foals were both defective.  it would have been a great pick up otherwise.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 07:52:24 pm »
too lazy to get out but wanted Joseph Arthur's Ballad of Boogie Christ Act 2....has anyone seen it?
(_|_)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:05:40 pm »
I picked up the Stiff Records box, The Grateful Dead LP and the Fleshtones/Rolling Stones 7-inches.   I resisted the urge to impulse-buy, for once in my life. I got everything I was looking for though.

dyecraig

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 10:15:08 pm »
plenty copies of the u2 thingy on ebay if interested

hutch

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 12:39:09 am »
went by CD cellar late in the day and picked up a few used LPs but nothing RSD related..I'm glad the Cellar has expanded...

would have bought the Mermaid Avenue LPs but at $41...... also held the Nick Cave in my hands but put it back....If Jubilee Street had been on it ....

we talked about Blue Groove last year but that guy needs to be run out of business.... last year he had stuff that had a recommended price of $49 or thereabouts at $99...

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 12:51:04 am »
went by CD cellar late in the day and picked up a few used LPs but nothing RSD related..I'm glad the Cellar has expanded...
ditto. my dad and i have been going there for at least a decade now and we've wondered if theyd ever take over that room that used to be a psychic. i guess theyre still working out the kinks of the new layout (and it took me a few minutes to figure out where they moved some of the niche cd sections like folk and international) but its cool to know the stores doing well enough to warrant expanding

from what i gather theyre planning to use the new space to host shows like the arlington store does. not quite sure how well thatll work, given their shitty parking situation (made even shittier later in the day when spacebars open) but its easier for me to get to falls church than clarendon so maybe ill finally be able to catch one of their shows

anyway i did smash/crooked beat/red onion earlier that day before cd cellar and picked up a few things (nothing RSD related) at each stop. all of them were fairly crowded, which is always cool to see. i still have mixed feelings about record store day in general but if its giving these shops a day or two they can count on for big sales, thats obviously a good thing.

edit: actually my find of the day might have been my impulse stop at unique when i left the metro station to head to cd cellar. 30% off everything so i left with 9 cds, 4 lps and a nice button up shirt for $22.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:55:57 am by gaaaaaaaaah »

gavroche

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:02:16 am »
I picked up the Nick Cave LP at Red Onion with no stress at all. Was the only thing on the list I really wanted and didn't bother to ask about anything else.  When I went in at noon I was the only customer.

killsaly

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 01:04:03 pm »
I figure this was as good a thread as any. If anyone makes music and wants Waves plugins for cheap, hit up their website today!
http://www.waves.com/specials
L2 Ultramaximizer Limiter, $79!!!!!
Silver Bundles, $149!!!! (That is 16 plugins!!!!)

dyecraig

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:17 pm »
.... also held the Nick Cave in my hands but put it back....If Jubilee Street had been on it ....

true, but this performance of The Mercy Seat almost makes up for it - warren ellis really make the thing almost lift off in the last few choruses

i would'nt expect Jubliee Street to boil up live with the limited instrumentation, but who knows

however, the banter is amusing

K8teebug

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 02:52:03 pm »
I also wanted Jubilee Street.  The live version of that song is so much better.  Kicks my ass.