Author Topic: Coachella updates...  (Read 2752 times)

redsock

Coachella updates...
« on: May 01, 2004, 06:33:00 pm »

Bags

Re: Coachella updates...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 09:28:00 am »
For "official" coverage, this from the  NY Times  today:

May 3, 2004
 CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK
 Pixie Worship at a Hipster Gathering
 By JON PARELES

NDIO, Calif., May 2 â?? Pity the bands that shared their Saturday-evening time slot with the reunited Pixies at the fifth annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival here. It seemed that the Pixies were the only band that everyone wanted to see among the 45 rock bands, hip-hop groups and D.J.'s on the festival's four stages on Saturday.

Radiohead, the million-selling band that was the festival's nominal headliner for the festival's first day, drew its own packed crowd when it followed the Pixies on the festival's main stage and played a magnificently baleful set. But even Thom Yorke, Radiohead's lead singer, was thrilled by the Pixies reunion. "When I was in school, the Pixies and R.E.M. changed my life," he said during Radiohead's encores. A long-running band that has been dormant lately, the Cure, was Sunday's headliner; the festival's 50,000 tickets were sold out for both days.

Coachella has earned its reputation as the hipster's rock festival. Its lineup brings together the pride of college radio: a few million-sellers along with dozens of acts that have, or deserve, dedicated cult followings. It embraces Latin alternative rock and underground hip-hop along with rock; it also had far more female performers than most rock festivals manage to book.

Saturday's program included a greatest-hits set from the pioneering and famously impassive German synthesizer band Kraftwerk (which has quietly updated oldies like "Autobahn" with newer beats and technology); gorgeous reveries from the Argentine songwriter Juana Molina and from Savath & Savalas; earnest, surging, self-help rock from the Texas band Sparta, including a song denouncing President Bush and "illegal war" in Iraq; tightly wound confessionals from Death Cab for Cutie; clever braggadocio from the Hieroglyphics hip-hop alliance; and punk-funk revivalism from the Rapture, Moving Units and Erase Errata.

But the day belonged to the Pixies. In an hourlong set that charged through nearly two dozen songs, they were anything but a nostalgia act. Once again they were taking on death and love, derangement and destiny. At Coachella, in songs that dated back more than a decade, the Pixies were simultaneously desolate and hilarious, savage and absurd, sardonic and wounded. Along the way they made most of the day's other music sound one-dimensional.

Backstage, the band's leader, Frank Black, who was born Charles Thompson and called himself Black Francis when he started the band, said the reunion was instigated when he joked about it and was taken seriously. Apparently he hadn't realized how many people had cherished the Pixies. Formed in 1986 and disbanded in 1992 after making five albums that were far more popular in Europe than in the United States, the Pixies taught alternative rock a trick that Nirvana would carry to a mass audience: follow a quiet verse with a loud chorus. But there was more to the Pixies than their dynamics. Frank Black latched on to familiar styles â?? surf-rock, folk-rock, garage-rock, punk, metal â?? and then knocked their structures thoroughly askew, abetted by the band.

The members of the Pixies are balder and portlier than they were a decade ago, and they had little stagecraft beyond a winged P on David Lovering's bass drum. It didn't matter a bit. Onstage, as on the Pixies' albums, Joey Santiago's lead guitar traded heroics for hysteria, with wriggling, sliding notes or cheeky dissonances, Kim Deal's bass tugged at the songs from below, and Mr. Lovering's drumming could be full and brawny or suddenly drop away, leaving skeletal bits of cymbal. Pixies' songs can't be done by rote. They need Frank Black to get all worked up: whooping, cackling, snarling and sometimes yearning with true affection. The gleeful noise never hid a troubled soul. The reunion will continue; the Pixies are booked for New York at the Lollapalooza Festival on Aug. 17 at Randalls Island.

The Pixies had their first life before alternative rock was thoroughly commodified and bands decided they had to stick to one attitude. Somehow many rock bands lost faith that their audiences could handle mixed messages. Recently hip-hop has been more likely to mingle manifestoes, humor and come-ons, though lately underground hip-hop has started to develop its own inevitable formulas.

A few bands on Saturday were willing to scramble things. The Desert Sessions, a dozen musicians convened by Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, knocked around blues and punk, jokes and love songs; Kinky, from Mexico, did border-hopping dance-music hybrids; and there was a fierce, grandly cantankerous set from . . . and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead. The Pixies reunion doesn't need to spawn imitators, but maybe it will remind rockers of the joys of inconsistency.

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »
Man this year's lineup looks pretty good... A little something for everyone.

AC/DC
Ab-Soul
Action Bronson
Alabama Shakes
Alesso
Alt-J
Alvin Risk
Andrew McMahon
Angel Olsen
Angus and Julia Stone
Annie Mac
Antemasque
Axwell x Ingrosso
Azealia Banks
Bad Religion
Bad Suns
Belle & Sebastian
Brand New
Built to Spill
Caribou
Carl Craig
Cashmere Cat
Cedric Gervais
Charles Bradley
Chet Faker
Circa Survive
Claude Von Stroke
Clean Bandit
Cloud Nothings
DJ Snake
David Guetta
Deorro
Desaparecidos
Dirty South
Drake
Drive Like Jehu
Duke Dumont
Eagulls
Erol Alkan
FKA twigs
Fitz and the Tantrums
Florence and the Machine
Flosstradamus
Flying Lotus
George Ezra
Gesaffelstein
Glass Animals
Gorgon City
Gramatik
Haerts
Hot Natured
Hozier
Interpol
J.E.S.&S (Jack Master, Eats Everything, Skream, Seth Troxler)
Jack White
Jamie xx
Jason Bentley
Jenny Lewis
John Talabot
Jon Hopkins
Joyce Manor
Jungle
Kasabian
Kaskade
Kaytranada
Kele
Keys N Krates
Kiesza
Kimbra
Lights
Lil B
Loco Dice
Lykke Li
Mac DeMarco
Madeon
Marco Carola
Marina and the Diamonds
Martin Solveig

Nero
New World Punx
Nortec Collective Presents: Bostich + Fussible
OFF!
Odesza
Panda Bear
Parquet Courts
Pete Tong
Philip Selway
Phox
Porter Robinson
R3hab
RAC
Radkey
Raekwon and Ghostface Killah
Ratatat
Reverend Horton Heat
Ride
Royal Blood
Ruen Brothers
Run the Jewels
Ryan Adams
Ryan Hemsworth
SBTRKT
Sloan
Slyvan Esso
Squarepusher
St. Lucia
St. Paul and the Broken Bones
St. Vincent
Steely Dan
Stromae
Sturgill Simpson
Swans
Tale of Us
Tame Impala
The Cribs
The Gaslamp Killer Experience
The Night Terrors of 1927
The Orwells
The War on Drugs
The Weeknd
Todd Terje and the Olsen
Toro y Moi
Touche Amore
Tourist
Tycho
Tyler the Creator
Until the Ribbon Breaks
Vance Joy
Vic Mensa
Yelle

Yada

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »
you and hutch should go see AC/DC together.

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:01:16 pm »
I would not see them.

I would most like to see these artists (not that I would not see others not on the list, they are just who I would want to see; but I would definitely avoid AC/DC).

Ab-Soul
Bad Religion
Built to Spill
Caribou
Carl Craig
Drive Like Jehu
Flosstradamus
Flying Lotus
Interpol
Jamie xx
Jenny Lewis
Jon Hopkins
Kasabian
Kaskade
Kimbra
Lights
Lil B
Mac DeMarco
Madeon

OFF!
Panda Bear
Pete Tong
Porter Robinson
Raekwon and Ghostface Killah
Ratatat
Ride
Run the Jewels
Sloan
Slyvan Esso
Squarepusher
Steely Dan
Swans
Tame Impala
The Weeknd
Toro y Moi
Tycho
Tyler the Creator

K8teebug

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 03:08:05 pm »
I will be forever thankful I went to the 2004 Coachella! SUCH A FUN TIME.

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 03:24:53 pm »
Sweetcell I figured this four post thread from 11 years ago would work for this one!

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 03:28:23 pm »
Sturgill Simpson invited to play both Coachella and Stagecoach.
27>34

blipvurt

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 12:05:04 am »
Killsaly - I just posted on the other Coachella thread but share your sentiment. I think they did a nice job this year.

K8teebug - I went in 2004 too. It was magical!