Author Topic: Thousands of hipsters driving to the Nissan Pavillion mo  (Read 1690 times)

Brian_Wallace

Thousands of hipsters driving to the Nissan Pavillion mo
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »
"What weâ??re trying to do now is only play in areas that have a public transport infrastructure in place.  So that rules out Glastonbury for this year." says Thom Yorke.

Granted every huge festival is a litter/pollution nightmare but don't they take a LOT of public transport to (near) the site and have extensive recycling efforts?  Heck, almost everybody stays in tents!  Plus, I think most of Michael Eavis's profits go to charity.

And all of that is still too much for Radiohead's SAVE THE EARTH standards?  And the Nissan Pavilion and all the effort concert attendees will use to attend the concert MEET the band's eco-standards??!?!?

Or is this a case of them being hypocritical and realizing that they can make a lot more $$$ in America so "only play(ing) in areas that have a public transport infrastructure in place" doesn't make much sense for their bank accounts?

Brian

Summerteeth

Re: Thousands of hipsters driving to the Nissan Pavillion mo
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »
Old news.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »
Yes, Radiohead only playing "eco-friendly" sites is old news.  I just thought Radiohead saying "no" to Glastonbury when it is by far the most eco-friendly major festival out there HUGELY hypocritical when they have no qualms about playing the Nissan Pavilion.

Brian

TheREALHunter

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »
Looks like they sold out Nissan no problem, perhaps they should've played RFK which would cover the public transportation issue and would probably lower the overall secondary ticket prices if it were to sell out.

Sage 703

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
  Looks like they sold out Nissan no problem, perhaps they should've played RFK which would cover the public transportation issue and would probably lower the overall secondary ticket prices if it were to sell out.
You realize the capacity of RFK is over 56,000 people, right?

TheREALHunter

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:

Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
You realize the capacity of RFK is over 56,000 people, right? [/b]
I realize what the capacity is and also realize that given the ticket sales, they could play a much larger venue than Nissan Pavillion.  IMO a second tier seat on the side of RFK provides a better view than a slightly elevated spot way back on the grass at an outdoor amphitheatre (and wouldn't cost someone $100-500 from a scalper to get in if they didn't happen to buy tickets the first day they went on sale).

Giles

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35:00 am »
all I have to say is that Nissan is a terrible venue - out in the middle of butt**** nowhere with no public transportation, at one point, Radiohead was rumoured to played at Verizon, which I've heard is flawed anyway... but at least Verizon is metro accessible.  The traffic in and out of a concert at Nissan is simply tragic ... at least the show is on a Sunday and not a weekday/Friday with rush hour traffic.  Missed nearly half the Coldplay show due to traffic -  :mad:

Giles

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:38:00 am »
question can I get a ride back into town from anyone in the Tenleytown/Friendship Heights area???

I have a ride there, but am thinking I might have a prob getting back into town after the show?

ggw

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 10:39:00 am »
Thom Yorke is the Eliot Spitzer of rock music.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 11:12:00 am »
yet, somehow, elliott spitzer isn't the thom york of politics.
<sig>