Author Topic: Bowling Green Massacre  (Read 4918 times)

hutch

Bowling Green Massacre
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:03:13 am »

It is hard to believe that it was more than five years ago...I remember it well.. where were you when it happened?

We were actually heading to visit my father in Winnetka... my first born was only one year old and I remember we stopped at this out of the way diner.. really nondescript place... I felt like we were in some movie or something. anways they had an itty bitty TV behind the bar and suddenly we saw it flash "BREAKING NEWS: BOWLING GREEN MASSACRE"... man we were bummed out but the local folk seemed angry more than anything..still we all came together as Americans... I remember it being somber.. we paid our tab and got back in our station wagon and head west..

hutch

Re: Bowling Green Massacre
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:07:41 am »
I did not make it to the Remember the Bowling Green Benefit at the 930 Club.. I heard later that Dave Grohl made an appearance? And maybe Ian MacKaye was there too?

Space Freely

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:10:19 am »
The term "massacree," used by Guthrie in the title to describe the whole scenario, is a colloquialism originating in the Ozark Mountains that describes "an event so wildly and improbably and baroquely messed up that the results are almost impossible to believe." It is a corruption of the word massacre (itself of French origin, possibly from the now nearly extinct Missouri French dialect) but carries a much lighter and more sarcastic connotation, never being used to describe anything involving actual death.

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:13:08 am »
The term "massacree," used by Guthrie in the title to describe the whole scenario, is a colloquialism originating in the Ozark Mountains that describes "an event so wildly and improbably and baroquely messed up that the results are almost impossible to believe." It is a corruption of the word massacre (itself of French origin, possibly from the now nearly extinct Missouri French dialect) but carries a much lighter and more sarcastic connotation, never being used to describe anything involving actual death.

I always wondered why the Ramones pronounced it that way in their song Texas Chainsaw Massacree. I just figured they were trying to make a rhyme with "They took my baby, away from me"
oword

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 11:14:32 am »

hutch

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:04:19 pm »
As I recall it happened a few days after i was back from the Ironman in Hawaii where I placed second due to bad luck with the wave conditions for the swimming component...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:21:13 pm »
Patton Oswald tweeted last night...

"we are the bowling green fabrication society"

And I'm currently listening to the Kinks
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 12:26:38 pm »
It is hard to believe that it was more than five years ago...I remember it well.

apparently you don't - it was in 2015: https://twitter.com/rodger_sherman/status/827360939091619840
<sig>

shemptiness

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 10:55:32 pm »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:18:48 pm by shemptiness »

hutch

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:12:53 pm »
oh that is good..... ;D

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 12:07:25 am »
Anyone else notice how Chris Matthews just went to the next question with no hesitation after she dropped that line?
Bannon doesn't have much to worry about w/r/t the news media being "the opposition party."
احمد

hutch

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 12:16:48 am »
Anyone else notice how Chris Matthews just went to the next question with no hesitation after she dropped that line?
Bannon doesn't have much to worry about w/r/t the news media being "the opposition party."

I just wonder if Chris Matthews wasn't sure about Bowling Green... he may have thought it might have happened and not wanted to challenge her in case he be made to look like the ass that he is?

shemptiness

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 12:21:46 am »

I just wonder if Chris Matthews wasn't sure about Bowling Green... he may have thought it might have happened and not wanted to challenge her in case he be made to look like the ass that he is?

Probably.  When I saw the subject line this morning I just thought 'Oh, I guess it happened again'.  It's become the norm, sadly.