Author Topic: Hey gang, come talk sex toys with Julian...  (Read 2632 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Hey gang, come talk sex toys with Julian...
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »
http://www.slate.com/id/2185623/entry/2185627/

On Feb. 13, sex-toy retailers in Texas rejoiced when a federal appeals court ruledâ??just in time for Valentine's Dayâ??that a Texas prohibition against the sale of dildos and pocket pussies violated the 14th Amendment.

According to the Texas (ahem) penal code, it is forbidden to sell or to advertise an artificial penis or vagina "primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs." The statute makes an exception for instances in which the purchase meets a "medical, psychiatric, judicial, legislative, or law enforcement" need. Even so, in Reliable Consultants v. Ronnie Earle, the normally conservative 5th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down the ban on the grounds that it violated the right of ordinary citizens "to engage in private intimate conduct in the home without government intrusion."

One of only four states banning sexual doodads (the other three are Virginia, Mississippi, and Alabama), Texas is not about to take this insult lying down. Last week, state Attorney General Greg Abbott petitioned the appellate court to reconsider the matter en banc (see exerpts below and on the following three pages). Abbott wrote that, if permitted to stand, the court's decision may "invite â?¦ challenges to previously-uncontroversial criminal prohibitions" on sexual practices such as "consensual adult incest or bigamy" (Page 4).
Now, I'm all for the rights of an individual to buy a sex toy. I'm a fair bit prudish, so they're not really my thing, personally, but if an adult wants to purchase such a thing, who am I to say otherwise?

What I want to do discuss is the way we phrase our objections to other's sex acts and this is a pretty good example. You'll notice the appeals court overturned this law because it infringed the right of others "to engage in private intimate conduct in the home without government intrusion."

Now, everyone's going to jump all over this Greg Abbott fellow as a right-wing nutso, but he makes a good point that if the government cannot step in when it comes to one's "private intimate conduct in [their] home," then we pretty much have legal precedence to wipe out all our laws against incest, bigamy, and bestiality. Rick Santorum made this same point a few years back, and people ignored it because he's a bigot, but it's a solid logical, legal argument.

So, I guess my point I'd like ones to weigh in on is what objective standard should a society use to decide when the society's right to outlaw a sexual act overrides individuals' rights to partake in it? What considerations should be taken? Discuss.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Hey gang, come talk sex toys with Julian...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »
an obvious one that comes to mind is harm.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »
Every woman I know has a vibrator, but I pull out a pocket pussy at a party and I'm the asshole?
oword

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  Every woman I know has a vibrator, but I pull out a pocket pussy at a party and I'm the asshole?
Not at my party...

One of the best gag gifts I ever gave at a party was a glow in the dark speculum.
27>34

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »
... how many women you know pull out vibrators at a party?
nothx

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  how many women you know pull out vibrators at a party?
Intentionally or accidentally?

It never fails to play the "lights are out" trick and see how many women thought they were getting out their flashlights only to be a little surprised when the lights turned back on.
27>34

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

... how many women you know pull out vibrators at a party? [/b]
Oh wait, that was also me. Carry on.
oword

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  an obvious one that comes to mind is harm.
So can we pass laws banning sado-masochistic sex acts among consenting adults?

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

You've obviously never been to a party at my house!!!     ;)  

But to answer your question, I personally couldn't give a rats what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home, and neither should the government.

nkotb

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »
She said "vibrators," not "dentures."

Originally posted by Brain Walrus:

You've obviously never been to a party at my house!!!    ;)  [/b]

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 It never fails to play the "lights are out" trick and see how many women thought they were getting out their flashlights only to be a little surprised when the lights turned back on.
Why would a woman carry her vibrator around in her purse? Wait, I don't want to know. Can we get back to the socio-political discussion about sex toys legislation I was trying to have.   :roll:

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:

You've obviously never been to a party at my house!!!     ;)   [/b]
[/b]
Just to clarify...was that an age or Brit reference?

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »
Hahaha...age.  Although thanks for making me spit my water out!

Originally posted by nkotb:
Just to clarify...was that an age or Brit reference? [/b]

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

Actually I went to one of those "slumber parties". It's like a tupperwear party for adults toys. I learned that the imported toys are shaped like animals (dolphin, butterfly, rabbit, hello kitty etc) so that they can be sold as toys, otherwise they would be banned for obscenity.
xoxo