Author Topic: Unofficial Sidehatch thread  (Read 1935 times)

hutch

Unofficial Sidehatch thread
« on: July 17, 2023, 03:50:04 pm »
Dude if you haven’t already you must listen to the live ‘Mats record from 86!! Amazeballs ..seriously

Not sure why I waited a few years to listen to it

hutch

Re: Unofficial Sidehatch thread
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 03:52:40 pm »
Just proves once and for all that they were the greatest US 80s band

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 05:58:30 pm »
I have not heard it yet, so no comment
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 08:36:03 am »
I just hit shuffle on The Replacements - The Complete Studio Albums 1981-1990

Be back in four and half hours

Also, I need to rewatch the episode of The Bear that featured “Can’t hardly wait” as I missed the whole discussion about The Replacements in it the first time.

T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 01:54:56 pm »
Without a doubt "Can't Hardly Wait" is one the best pop/rock songs ever written and then you added some top notch production in on top of that.  The touch of strings and when the horns kick in magnificent!
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 10:56:25 am »
While going down my are there any notable 'Mats covers rabbit hole, I was reminded of a New Jersey band called Dipsomaniacs who were greatly influenced by them.  So if beer soaked pizza driven raucous power pop is your thing then given them a listen.

This all come about because of a 'Mats tribute pulled together by Dipsomaniacs called "Left of the Dial: a Pop Tribute to the Replacements", which is surprising still available for streaming.  As far as tribute albums it's got those hits and miss covers.  But it does include the great  Baltimore band The Put Outs and a Austin surf outfit called Squid Vicious, which just happened to be the nickname of our cat at time Sid Vicious.  I emailed them and sent a picture of the Squid which I believe they post on their website.  Fun trip down memory lane...

The one 'Mats cover I'm now most interested in is Brad Shepherd (Hoodoo Gurus) version of Alex Chilton, but sadly it's on an Aussie tribute album which well not easy to find anywhere.
T.Rex