Author Topic: 9:30 to lease Armory? sez Jim Vance  (Read 1505 times)

slappy

9:30 to lease Armory? sez Jim Vance
« on: March 06, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »
Haven't seen this poasted.
 Eat it Live Nation.

Doreen Gentzlink

City Considers Leasing D.C. Armory To 9:30 Club

WASHINGTON -- The D.C. government is exploring plans to lease the D.C. Armory as a concert performance venue, News4 has learned.

The D.C. Armory, which is used by the circus and other traveling venues in addition to housing the D.C. National Guard, has about 65,000 square feet.

The D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission, which controls the site, is looking to make more money with the little-used space that was built in 1941 and is one of the largest unobstructed indoor sites on the East Coast.

News4 has learned that private talks have taken place with the popular 9:30 Club, an entertainment venue and nightclub in the District which is looking to expand its concert activities.

Sources said the city and the club have discussed a potential lease that would permit concert events for 1,000 to 5,000 people and about 200 events each year.

Watch the video

The 9:30 Club would spend about a year retrofitting the space, including adding air conditioning.

Neighborhood commission chairman Julie Olson said local residents were unaware of the plans being explored by the sports commission.

The Armory has plenty of parking and is not near many homes, but some said they are worried.

"I think the community is going to be very upset about basically a nightclub venue being at the Armory," Olson said.

"I can understand where they'd want to make some money off the site, but I don't think a nightclub venue is the right way to go," she said. "Perhaps maybe some large events that are less often during the year would be good."

A spokesman for the commission said no firm decision has been made. He said proposals may be formally sought, and community leaders will be consulted.

"We're always looking for new places to put on shows. The Armory is just one of about two dozen places we looked at in the last year," said 9:30 Club owner Seth Hurwitz.

Ward 6 D.C. Council member Tommy Wells said more community consultation is needed.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: 9:30 to lease Armory? sez Jim Vance
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »
I hope they iron things out a lot better.

When I was at the Armory for the DCRG event a couple weeks ago, it was a clusterfuck. They didn't staff the ticket counter and they ran out of beer and had to go get more before the event even started... not to mention the Armory staff upped beer prices halfway through the bout.
nothx

slappy

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  I hope they iron things out a lot better.

When I was at the Armory for the DCRG event a couple weeks ago, it was a clusterfuck. They didn't staff the ticket counter and they ran out of beer and had to go get more before the event even started... not to mention the Armory staff upped beer prices halfway through the bout.
I have a feeling Seth might know how to get rocking. Hell, you might even be able to get a tasty panini.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »
i was so bummed when i saw this on the news and there was no live seth interview
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i was so bummed when i saw this on the news and there was no live seth interview
Have you seen the kids face on camera?  

Clearly a face only a mother could love.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »
maybe thats why i look forward to seeing his face in the media
o/\o

Giles

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
could you imagine what bands could set up elaborate sets/lightning with the Armory's vast space - I betcha Daft Punk could have installed their pyramid rig there ....  :D