Author Topic: Alejandro Escovedo DJ set  (Read 1650 times)

twangirl

Alejandro Escovedo DJ set
« on: July 13, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »
Calexico â?¢ Black Heart
 David Bowie â?¢ Sound & Vision
 The Stooges â?¢ Gimme Danger
 Charlie Sexton â?¢ Burn
 The Replacements â?¢ Unsatisfied
 Chuck Prophet â?¢ Would You Love Me?
 The Rolling Stones â?¢ Moonlight Mile
 --------------------------------
 Vandaveer
 --------------------------------
 Ian Hunter â?¢ Still Love Rock & Roll
 Grady â?¢ Joe Louis
 T Rex â?¢ Buick MacKane
 Velvet Underground â?¢ Foggy Notion
 New York Dolls â?¢Â Trash
 The Zeros â?¢ Don't Push Me Around
 -------------------------------
 ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO
 -------------------------------
 Los Super Seven â?¢ Heard It On the X

SPARX

Re: Alejandro Escovedo DJ set
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »
Nice job. How was the show? Haven't had the pleasure of seeing anything live other than the Ausin City Limits gig, which was incredible I thought. I hope there was a good crowd. I'd been wondering how it went. Looks like you had the crowd good and warmed up. No doubt about that.

Mobius

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »
lot of heavy hitters in there. nice.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »
did he play "Put You Down".....?

i'm super disappointed that i missed it...
(_|_)

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:39:00 am »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  did he play "Put You Down".....?

i'm super disappointed that i missed it...
"Put You Down" was the opener.  It was a really good show.  It seemed kind of rushed due to it being an early show and having to be over by 10.  He played lots of the new record and a few older songs (Rosalie, Castanets, I Was Drunk).  The encore was two covers: All The Young Dudes and Beast of Burden.

BookerT

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »
this was an excellent show. i never got the feeling it was rushed. he played for an hour and 35 minutes, was he really going to play that much longer? still had plenty of entertaining banter, didn't seem like he was rushing through things. that was just my take. he's the real deal.

oh, and walked in during "foggy notion," that was rather pleasant.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  this was an excellent show. i never got the feeling it was rushed. he played for an hour and 35 minutes, was he really going to play that much longer? still had plenty of entertaining banter, didn't seem like he was rushing through things. that was just my take. he's the real deal.

oh, and walked in during "foggy notion," that was rather pleasant.
I've seen Al loads of times and I do think it seemed rushed compared to some his more spontaneous, informal sets.  It's not uncommon to see him play 45 min or so of encores in a more relaxed setting.  This was a much more rehearsed show.  That might not be due to the curfew, it could just be what he is doing this time around.  It was great, but just a different feel than one of his more spontaneous shows.

twangirl

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »
It's true that Alejandro has been known for playing long, spontaneous sets, and I've been privileged to see many of those over the years.

I've seen him at least 10 times this year so far. He is currenty playing a 90-minute set of most of the new record with a number of his older favorites. Even at his CD release show at his hometown club, the set was about 90 mins. Nothing was cut from the setlist to accomodate the Brazilian Girls show.

It's also true that Alejandro has really come into his own with this record, and his live shows are reflecting this. Always an outstanding performer, he's reaching new heights now. The Washington Post review conveys the spirit of the show very well. Don't miss him next time!

Tonorro

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »
I think he pandered to the crowd too much.  And why  such an excellent songwriter would choose to finish his set with two covers is beyond me.  In his previous 9:30 club, he finished with a moving and passionate rendition of his own "Don't Need You".  That show was far superior and reflected his songwriting much better.

twangirl

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tonorro:
  I think he pandered to the crowd too much.  And why  such an excellent songwriter would choose to finish his set with two covers is beyond me.  In his previous 9:30 club, he finished with a moving and passionate rendition of his own "Don't Need You".  That show was far superior and reflected his songwriting much better.
Alejandro's been playing All The Young Dudes for many years and since he's cited Hunter & Ronson as early musical influences, and is currently looking back and revisiting those influences, it fits. He often plays Beast of Burden at his home base in Austin, The Continental Club, with a guest guitarist like Charlie Sexton, or Gordy Johnson, to name a few.  He does a killer version of Sway sometimes too, although not recently. I believe Al would call it paying homage to those who came before him and inspired him to become a songwriter in the first place. And what a songwriter he is.

Tom Servo

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »
A few weeks ago on a business trip to Austin, I was getting some Amy's ice cream on South Congress when a coworker suggested I check out the concert schedule.  It was a pretty full week so I wasn't planning on hitting any shows.  

I picked up a Chronicle and realized that AI was playing next door at the Continental club in 20 minutes.  Total serendipity.