Author Topic: eMusic goes social  (Read 3273 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: eMusic goes social
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »
I suspect they make money on the fact that people pay in advance and they make have better deals in place for other tracks.  They themselves own a good chuck of whats on offer via The Orchard.

As predicted the new album pages are similar to what lala did, with external links to wikipedia, youtube, as well as the to "share" album pages on other social networking sites.  

The change wasn't without it's problems.  The fixed screen size is large and people with smaller monitors are required to do lots of horizontal scrolling.  User lists are missing at the moment, they are suppose to being coming back.  

Of course the automatic linking to external content is not very intelligent, so you end up with content unrelated to the band.  i.e. the content for the band Earth is well about the planet...
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by darjama:
  I think the only way they make money is if people don't use all their credits. Our band got paid at about $.25 per download from eMusic via TuneCore, which was the cost to the user if they used all their downloads before the prices changed.  
You're welcome.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »
wow two days later and eMusic fixes the problems on their site... now if only lala would get their act together, although trading over there is really bad  at the moment and they didn't help the situation by switching to much of the focus to selling mp3s...
T.Rex