Author Topic: Cannibalism  (Read 2095 times)

Cannibalism
« on: September 02, 2005, 12:00:00 pm »
Is cannibalism always wrong? What if you were really, really hungry, and there was nothing else to eat? Like in one of those lifeboat- or mining accident- or pioneer situations you were asked to think about and discuss in school as a child? What if the meal-person was already dead, but presumably still quite fresh? They wouldn't miss an arm or a leg, would they? They're dead, right? What if it was an organ donor, offering you a kidney or a liver or a cornea, but you just chose to eat that part instead of giving it to the surgeons? Would that be so wrong? I mean, the donor donated it, right? For the benefit of others? Truly, cannibalism (per se) does not require killing (per se), does it? When you bite your nails, isn't that a sort of masturbatory cannibalism?

Isn't it sort of racist and xenophobic to be against cannibalism? Cannibalism is an honored tradition among many dark-skinned peoples, so isn't it sort of intolerant and judgemental to condemn it the way so many westerners do? Couldn't we whitebread-types learn something from this sort of ancient wisdom, of living in harmony with nature? Isn't having this knee-jerk, gut-level antipathy to cannibalism a sort of bigotry, after all? Isn't this an indigenous peoples' method of recycling? Like, maybe it's a Black thing, and you wouldn't understand?

How much of a person would you have to eat to be considered a "cannibal" anyway? If you walked up to someone and bit off his or her finger or ear and started chewing, but then spit it out before swallowing, would that make you a cannibal? What if you only bit off a little piece, such as an earlobe or maybe one of those moles that stick out, or an "outie" bellybutton-- and then swallowed-- would you then suddenly be transmogrified into a "cannibal"? What if you swallowed a portion of someone else's bodily fluids? You don't even want to go there, do you? What if it happened completely unawares, say a friendly villager serves you a stew or some soup or something, and you like it, and ask for more, but it turns out the dish was made out of his grandmother, and you had no idea? Would you be a "cannibal" then? What if you ended up liking the idea? What if you wanted to savor some more of this healthy, hearty, native cuisine?

What if it was so good, it started you wondering whether one variety of mankind tasted sweeter than another, or women are more tender and better-marbled than men, or if infants are best served roasted in their own juices, or what? Are Hindus best served with curried rice, Samoans with pineapple, hefty Nebraskans with a side of corn-on-the-cob? What if you could really, really show your sincere appreciation for other people and peoples in this way? Would that be so wrong? Wouldn't that make you a sort of connoisseur?

Why doesn't anyone want to talk about cannibalism? Why are there so few books on the subject of cannibalism? How come none of them contain any recipes?

Frank Gallagher

Re: Cannibalism
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »
Is picking your nose and eating it, or biting your nails and swallowing them considered cannibalism?

I have a rather nasty habit of biting the inside of my lower lip, and if a bit of skin comes off I swallow it.....does that make me a cannibal?

evilsanta

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 12:36:00 pm »
It's wrong! Now can we move on to something more important?  I heard Death Cab for Cutie is playing DC soon.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by The Thread Police:
  It's wrong! Now can we move on to something more important?  I heard Death Cab for Cutie is playing DC soon.
I like the way this guy thinks....
T.Rex

joeavrage

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

I like the way this guy thinks.... [/b]
I don't. I think he's evil.

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
There was a great line by one of those guys from that Andes plane crash about cannibalism.  He said that for them eating the dead was similar to someone getting a heart transplant, it kept them alive.  I think in that case it was a great analogy.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 01:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by My Cat Can DJ:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

I like the way this guy thinks.... [/b]
I don't. I think he's evil. [/b]
and i heard he was only in it for the nookie oh i mean cookies
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 09:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by clouds R²:
  "It is reported that black hurricane victims in New Orleans have begun eating corpses to survive. "
Yeah, but they are in No'liwns. Bet they make a mighty tasty rack of human.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 04:46:00 am »
Puts a whole new dimension to the "blackened, cajun" type of cooking.

Okay, that's my off-colour comment of the day...no pun intended!  ;)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 07:29:00 am »
Originally posted by clouds R²:
  Cannibalism is an honored tradition among many dark-skinned peoples
That's why you should always cross the street when you see the darkies coming!
_\|/_

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 08:07:00 am »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
 That's why you should always cross the street when you see the darkies coming!
www.huffingtonpost.com/randall-robinson/new-orleans_b_6643.html
 According to civil rights leader Randall Robinson, black people are indeed now eating corpses of their loved ones to survive.  The Andes plane crash survivors waited 30 days before saying Grace.  There's not much snow around New Orleans this time of year. I suppose you've got to eat before the groceries spoil..?