Author Topic: Indie Records on sale at Corporate Behemoth  (Read 2061 times)

ggw

Indie Records on sale at Corporate Behemoth
« on: March 29, 2004, 12:04:00 am »
Deep discounts on the Rough Trade catalog at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=pcmcat27000050021&type=category&cmp=

markie

Re: Indie Records on sale at Corporate Behemoth
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 10:43:00 am »
Your link just takes me to best buy "cookes not enabled".....But they are.

How do I navigate to the sale? I did see The Tyde, twice was only $8.99 which is a fantastic price for a great album.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 10:52:00 am »
i was wondering about the link figured it was just my non microsloth browsers...

and being cynical how indie is a label who Manufactured and distributed in the US by BMG distribution, a unit of BMG Entertainment.  Last time i checked BMG wasn't very indie  :)
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
The link works fine for me.

Try this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat27000050021&type=category

Or, go to the home page, select the "Music, Movies and Games" tab.  Then, under "This Week's Entertainment Offers," select "music."  Then Scroll down to "Huge Sale on Rough Trade CDs"

markie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

and being cynical how indie is a label who Manufactured and distributed in the US by BMG distribution, a unit of BMG Entertainment.  Last time i checked BMG wasn't very indie   :)  
Do you think the acts on Rough Trade get a couple of million up front, then if they dont do well, get dropped after two albums?

markie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Try this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat27000050021&type=category

Ding ding DING!!!!!

Thankyou.

markie

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
Oooooops. I have 15 out of the 24 already. I guess I am a rough trade fan.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 11:07:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

and being cynical how indie is a label who Manufactured and distributed in the US by BMG distribution, a unit of BMG Entertainment.  Last time i checked BMG wasn't very indie    :)  
Do you think the acts on Rough Trade get a couple of million up front, then if they dont do well, get dropped after two albums? [/b]
Rough Trade and Sanctuary Records who own them are "major" indies who i'm sure have more favorable record contracts.  i just find it ironic that they are so tightly joined with BMG which is hardly a indie company.  being distributed BMG does have it advantages, but does it mean that BMG can then reject a product because it doesn't meet it's standards?
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
   but does it mean that BMG can then reject a product because it doesn't meet it's standards?
I doubt it somehow. Some of the records are quite odd/poor. I cannot imagine the bulk of Rough trades artist acheiving high sale, can you?

I really dont care if they are an indie or not as long as they keep putting out records by Adam Green, the Tyde, the Libertines et al

Bags

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 11:34:00 am »
I've heard really mixed responses to Fiery Furnaces.  They were showing up for a while as one of 2003's "it" bands, but I've heard from regular folks (ie, not music critics) that they pretty much blow.

Boardies?

skonster

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 11:39:00 am »
I think the album is pretty good/interesting, but not one I listen to that often.  The lead woman singer's vocals can be a bit grating (female version of the guy from stellastar? maybe? - I don't have either album in front of my so that may be a bad comparison), and the album sounds as if it could dissolve into a complete mess at any moment but manages to hold together.

Originally posted by Bags:
  I've heard really mixed responses to Fiery Furnaces.  They were showing up for a while as one of 2003's "it" bands, but I've heard from regular folks (ie, not music critics) that they pretty much blow.

Boardies?

markie

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Boardies?
I reviewed it for Bigyawn.net

I would go and see them live, but I found the album moderately annoying.