Author Topic: Independent bands gaining popularity through commercials  (Read 3100 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Independent bands gaining popularity through commercials
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 01:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorballball:
  Well other than when touring, I don't see why a rock musician shouldn't have a second job anyway, be it giving guitar lessons, working in an office, or delivering the mail. I mean, does it really take eight hours a day to practice your instrument and write songs?
well many rock musicians do that as well to pay what expenses didn't get covered on the road, getting money together to record the next record,  there is still nothing wrong with earning a little extra money by liscening a song.  plus it's get the song out to more people who would have heard of your band otherwise.  do you think brendan benson or his record company can afford several 30 second spots on primetime tv?

how about all those bands who play certain guitar drums in exchange for sponsorship?  or wear certain t-shirts, jeans or tennis shows.  it's all about sponsorship.  it's been that way for centuries.  instead of being the king or other royalty making the bills, it's now big business.
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 01:07:00 pm »
  Well other than when touring, I don't see why a rock musician shouldn't have a second job anyway, be it giving guitar lessons, working in an office, or delivering the mail. I mean, does it really take eight hours a day to practice your instrument and write songs?
why should they work if they have enough money not to work?  i for one would not have some shitty day job working for somebody else if I could afford not to, I would do something with my time, but certainly not delivering the mail or working in an office

Guiny

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2004, 01:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
 I'm glad i read all the posts before i wrote something cause i was thinking the exact same thing, if its not their bands its called selling out, if it is their bands then its the coolest thing in the world.     :roll:  
You must be stoked about that new Carnival Cruise commercial with the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" soundtrack. [/b]
Soundtrack?

Guiny

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 01:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

I'm glad i read all the posts before i wrote something cause i was thinking the exact same thing, if its not their bands its called selling out, if it is their bands then its the coolest thing in the world.     :roll:  
Guiny, you are part of they, you are here everyday [/b]
Actually i wasn't here the last four days....Sorry.

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 01:35:00 pm »
  Actually i wasn't here the last four days....Sorry.
oh, then you CLEARLY aren't a regular

mankie

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 01:57:00 pm »
I heard the intro to James, "born of frustration" for a  hotel ad on one of those thinking persons cable channels....I thought it was great that they could get a few quid (not that James need a few quid) for an old song they wrote probably over 15 years ago.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
I heard that the person(s) who now have control to the rights of (Burning) Ring of Fire, which was written by June Carter Cash and sung by her husband Johnny, was going to sell the song for 1 million to an anti-hemmoroid medicine company to be used in a commerically. Thankfully, Roseanne Cash threatened legal action, and the song will not be used.

ggw

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2004, 03:03:00 pm »
Isn't "Ring of Fire" being used in an Applebees commercial?

And "I've Been Everywhere" is being used by Comfort Inn.

jkeisenh

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2004, 03:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Isn't "Ring of Fire" being used in an Applebees commercial?

Goddamn those Applebee's commercials... they bastardize songs to advertize horrible sub-par food... ewewew.  I mute 'em all now, to preserve my sanity

mankie

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2004, 03:11:00 pm »
Ring of fire would be better served on a Mexican restaurant or Chili place ad.

Jaguär

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2004, 10:34:00 pm »
  I remember back in the old days when people used to get pissed off when their favorite rock band's songs were turned into commercials. Now you guys all think it's a good thing? What happened to the to the spirit of independence of days gone by?
You've never seen me rant about this. In fact, for decades, I've taken up for muscians who have done this though, you are dead on, it's been against popular opinion. Granted, there are times when it is less tasteful than others.

My thinking has always been based on two issues:

1. Hey, making music is their job, regardless of how they choose to use it.

2. If I have to put up with commercials, than I'd much rather hear music in them that I like than the crap that is either manufactured for them or other popular crap pieces that I don't want to hear in any shape or format.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2004, 09:56:00 am »
We've gained some record sales through licensing our music to be used on MTV programs. We've had 7 songs off the last album used on "Road Rules" and "Road Rules/Real World Challenge" They've got episode guides which will list the bands that were featured in each episode. A few times it's even on the video clips they'll feature within the episode guide. Granted, the amount of money we get for licensing isn't much, it's still more than what we had right? Plus, we've seen the positives with people purchasing our album saying they heard it on one of the shows.

We didn't get anything for the licensing but we also had one of our newer tracks used on a Canon new employee multimedia CD!

I still have my crappy office job though   :(  

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

jkeisenh

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
Ted Leo's "Where Have All The Rude Boys Gone" riff is now opening up the TRL shows... it's pretty funny, really, with all those teens screaming and everything, but there's no credit given that I've seen.  There's a good chance, though, that if they played the song into the lyrics, they'd lose everyone anyway.  Teddy's lyrics are hardly accessible...

thirsty moore

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2004, 10:33:00 am »
........people acting fooooooooooLISH!

Originally posted by chimblysweep:
  ...it's pretty funny, really, with all those teens screaming and everything

Jaguär

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2004, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimblysweep:
  Ted Leo's "Where Have All The Rude Boys Gone" riff is now opening up the TRL shows... it's pretty funny, really, with all those teens screaming and everything, but there's no credit given that I've seen.  There's a good chance, though, that if they played the song into the lyrics, they'd lose everyone anyway.  Teddy's lyrics are hardly accessible...
Hey, that never stopped Iggy Pop's song "Lust For Life" being used to maximum effect. I often laugh to myself when I see those commercials with that song and imagine it with the lyrics. Better yet, the reactions of those watching the commercials who don't know the song.

Yes, I have a very wild sense of humor.