Author Topic: did billy corgan suck?  (Read 1977 times)

anarchist

did billy corgan suck?
« on: June 25, 2005, 02:21:00 am »
i know the first 2 bands did.  bc's light show was good.  plus that was the least crowded sold out 930 show i have ever been to.  let it out.  vent.

Sage 703

Re: did billy corgan suck?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 12:09:00 pm »
actually, I thought Doris Henson was very good.

and Corgan was also good, for what it was.  Then again, I'm a rather die hard Corgan fan.  So I'm curious to see what other people think.

Darth Ed

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
Doris Henson was definitely better then The Crimea. The Crimea rocked out on a couple songs, but, for the most part, they bored me to tears. It didn't help that I couldn't understand a word their lead singer said or sang, thanks to his thick London(?) accent. Doris Henson had some good songs and some good energy, but I hated that song they ended their set with. Could've done without the trombone, too. Not that I'm against brass instruments in my rock music, but it didn't add anything in this case.

As for Billy Corgan, he definitely did not suck, but I've seen better post-Pumpkins Corgan shows. (I rather liked the Zwan stuff actually, especially performed live.) But I respect him a lot as an artist. He's one of the best frontman lead guitarists in the business, and he's a damn good songwriter. As for the new material that he performed last night, I would say there were only 5 or 6 strong songs and only a few of those really showed off Corgan's guitar playing skills, but at least he's out there trying to do something new rather than regurgitating the same songs with different lyrics like some artists. I guess sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take two steps forward though. Anyway, not the best concert I've seen this year by any means, but I certainly enjoyed it. I got a real thrill out of finally seeing Corgan perform at the 9:30 Club. (I wasn't living around here when the Pumpkins were touring and Zwan never played at the 9:30 Club unfortunately.)

Other comments:
 </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Best light show at the 9:30 Club ever.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">I desperately wanted more of Corgan's vocals in the sound mix. I could barely hear Corgan through the first 3 or 4 songs. After that, it seemed to improve, but not enough.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Corgan's heartfelt speech at the end of the show and his "Hail Mary" rendition. Wow.</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">

tuna breath

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 05:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  actually, I thought Doris Henson was very good.

and Corgan was also good, for what it was.  Then again, I'm a rather die hard Corgan fan.  So I'm curious to see what other people think.

Sage 703

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 05:52:00 pm »
Light show was spectacular.

And I agree with the vocal mix; Corgan seemed very low.  Pretty much everything the other poster said was right on - five or six great songs, some "meh" songs, and all in all, a good performance and an entertaining night.  Looking forward to what he does next.

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 01:33:00 am »
Last night's show is up on the oink bit torrent tracker. Getting it now.
احمد

Driveway

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 12:58:00 pm »
i got it.  it keeps frezing my computer when i try to open it, and i have a flac plug-in for winamp.  anyone else have issues?

Volk

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 02:53:00 pm »
I had a pretty good time. The light show WAS really fucking cool. I agree on the vocals too...they were definitely too low in the beginning. I'm in love with Linda Strawberry.

azaghal1981

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 04:10:00 pm »
Plays fine here.
احمد

funkergirl

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
doris henson was alright- that guy on the trombone was kinda silly-
 the second band i did NOT dig
 annnnd
 i LOVE billy corgan-
 light show was awesome- would have been nice to hear him better as everyone said.
 hes so nice tho- loved how he was chatting a bit with everyone- god he's beautiful.
 good timez.
 andddd they played a LONG ass set which was nice! altho i was dying to sit down by the time i left

Mooninite420

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 08:50:00 am »
doris henson put on one hell of a show. crimea however... meh. the only thing i enjoyed was their guitarist who could obviously play.

as for the man himself, the first couple of songs he seemed bored and uncomfortable but once he got into it the show seemed to take off, as much as one could take off to that kind of music. the solo in "to love somebody" was great. i've also heard that he's started singing "hail mary" at the end of his shows normally now

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 09:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Mooninite420:
   i've also heard that he's started singing "hail mary" at the end of his shows normally now
He did it at the 9:30 show, obviously, and again in Chicago. It's not a nightly thing by any means, and a little weird for some of us.

Mooninite420

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 01:24:00 pm »
haha yea it was a bit odd. i saw a few people leave but it was nice of him to say that he was open to all religions and beliefs after he sang it