Author Topic: Amazing Shows Everyone Should've Paid Attention To  (Read 1649 times)

Firebutt McGee

Amazing Shows Everyone Should've Paid Attention To
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:17:00 am »
I'm guessing that mainly azaghal and I will be the only ones posting in here, but here goes:

Tonight's show at the Black Cat backstage with Strength and Viking was totally and completing surprising in the best way!

http://www.myspace.com/strength

They are definitely my favorite dance band for the (remainder of) summer. Completely fun and engaging, and all 6 people at the show were dancing and into it, which is pretty weird to see in the empty backstage.

Viking was super fun and really took it up a notch. It was just him and his laptop, with a couple of pedals and loop things and random shit on a table. He reminded me a lot of old-school Justice, without the douchebaggery or the pretentiousness. He reminded me of what I used to love about Ed Banger Records before they got all shitty.

http://www.myspace.com/pjtheviking

I wish more of the people who packed the sold-out Justice/!!!/Hot Chip shows took an interest, because they would've LOVED these bands/artists. Seriously, only 6 people were in attendance. Unacceptable, DC.
Woof.

azaghal1981

Re: Amazing Shows Everyone Should've Paid Attention To
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:02:00 am »
Sure, I'll play:
 6/14 Major Stars at Velvet Lounge

After Jose Gonzalez got done almost putting me to sleep at the club, I headed over to the Velvet Lounge to check out what was left of the show taking place there. Got there in time to catch the last 10 minutes of what sounded like was a great Thalia Zedek set. Major Stars then came on and put on the best straight-forward rock set I've seen all year. That huge Dinosaur Jr.-esque wall of fuzzed out guitars was just what I needed after paying $25 to almost take a nap. Kohoutek then followed with an equally hard-rocking set (possibly the best Kohoutek set I've seen).

I can sit here listing shows I've seen at Velvet that many here probably would've liked but ignored.
احمد

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:09:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
 I can sit here listing shows I've seen at Velvet that many here probably would've liked but ignored.
Um, do it! That's kind of what I was aiming for. I see this thread as a parallel to the "Artists That Should Be Appreciated More" thread. I'd do way more shows at the Velvet Lounge if I knew who some of those bands/acts were.
Woof.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:10:00 am »
Dolly Parton at the 9:30 Club.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »
The EX  with Gétatchèw Mèkurya at the Black Cat.
 One of the best shows this year.

NYC show here:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/08/getatchew_mekur_1.html
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »
One of the many shows I've lazily blown off this month. I bet last night's show at the Velvet (Yndi Halda) was great too and I skipped that as well.

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:

NYC show here:

احمد

slowgraffiti

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:40:00 am »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:

NYC show here:

i really really wanted to go to that. will you tell me about it?

killsaly

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 11:49:00 am »
The Bonde Do Role show earlier this year at Sonar.  They are the funnest band I have ever seen. Also the Cloud Cult show at RNRH this year.  So good.  Beautiful music and the on stage painting during the performance was very memorable.

Sage 703

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »
Years ago...

Crooked Fingers, Azure Ray and David Dondero at Black Cat.  Maybe...50-75 people there?  And still one of my all time favorite shows.

Now Its Overhead at IOTA within the past year.

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »
I would've went to that Cloud Cult show if Gary Higgins wasn't in town that night.

And speaking of which:
 Gary Higgins 4/19/08 at Velvet lounge.

He still sounds as good as he did on the album he recorded 35+ years ago.

Snailhook, please bring him back.
احمد