Author Topic: WARNING: Andrew WK Content  (Read 2992 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
WARNING: Andrew WK Content
« on: June 16, 2004, 10:01:00 am »
(i don't expect any of these cds to show up on markie's ipod anytime soon.  maybe some of the "ie's
 " on the board)

From Entertainment Weekly - Listen 2 This 6/18/04

TWELVE CDs Andrew W.K. Says You've Gotta Get- By Any Means Necessary - Right Now!

1. COUCH - Glass Brothers: 1993-1994 (1995 Bulb) "This is a band from my freaky, cool hometown, Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Their music is so intense, so bizarre"

2. TO LIVE AND SHAVE IN L.A. 30-Minuten Mannercreme (1994 Lisp).  "When I was 14, I was into the craziest music that I could get my hands on, and this was different.  I would never have imagained it, and you could have never described it to me"

3. TO LIVE AND SHAVE IN L.A. The Wigmaker in Eighteenth Century Williamsburg (2003 Menlo Park) "A few years ago I was in a bar with [bandleader] Tom Smith and he played me some stuff he was working on overa Walkman.  Even then, in a noisy bar on headphones I was shivering with excitment."

4. NALPALM DEATH Harmony Corruption (1990 Earache) "Napalm Death is, by far, one of the most important things ever.  It stretched Boundaries and squised the boundaries at the same time."

5. BACH The Brandenburg Concertos (Any Version 1721) "Tears well up in my eyes when I read about Bach and how much people love him"

6. OBITURARY Anthology (2001 Roadrunner)  "I ended up writing a letter to the drummer asking him to be in my band, and he did.  It was an amazing miracle"

7. PARLIAMENT Funkentelechy vs the Placebo Symdrome (1977 Polygram) "This makes me feel as happy as I could possible feel.  Maybe once I get married or have a baby, I'll exceed that"

8. BOOTSY COLLINS Ahh... The Name is Bootsy, Baby! (1977 Warner Brothers).  "I think George Clinton said that Funkadelic is for 18 to 40 year olds, Parliament is for 10 to 18 years old, and Bootsy is for 4 to 10 years old"

9.  THROBBING GRISTLE D.O.A.: THe Third and FInal Report of Throbbing Gristle (1978 Mute)  "The first industrial band. It's my favorite because of the song "Hamburger Lady"

10. GYORGY LIGETI The Ligeti Project II (2002 Teldec) "If you listen to it at home alone - I don't care if it's the most sunny, beautiful day outside - you will be very scared"

11. TERRY RILEY Descending Moonshine Dervishes (1983 Kuck Kuck)  "He's one of the first important Electronic musicians and was embraced by rock musician. [Mimics the intro of the Who's "Baba O'Riley"] He invented that"

12. LUNGFISH Love is Love (2003 Dischord)  "One of the greatest bands I've ever seen live.  YOu can find infinity within four notes"

As as sidenote:

TO LIVE AND SHAVE IN L.A.!!!
 It's official: Andrew W.K. has will be playing drums in the band "TO LIVE AND SHAVE IN L.A.". The band was created by Tom Smith over 10 years ago and recently Andrew signed on as the newest member. TO LIVE AND SHAVE IN L.A. will be on tour in the U.S.A. this September. Stay tuned in for more updates and tour dates. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: "30 MINUTEN MANNERCREME" and "THE WIGMAKER IN EIGHTEENTH CENTURY WILLIAMSBURGH"! This is going to be insane!!!
T.Rex

redsock

Re: WARNING: Andrew WK Content
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 10:06:00 am »
the Lungfish album is pretty ggod, but of the others, only Parliament and Throbbing Gristle ring a bell.

thirsty moore

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:09:00 am »
Good to hear a ringing endorsement of Lungfish.  I've recently started listening to them again.  Great band.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 10:11:00 am »
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 10:15:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

7. PARLIAMENT Funkentelechy vs the Placebo Symdrome (1977 Polygram)
I LOVE this disc.  It's no "Mothership Connection", but it's still great.  I can't imagine hearing "Flashlight" and not dancing to it.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 10:28:00 am »
ATTENTION EVERYONE :  I just got this in my inbox.

"The Irish Virus is spreading across the eastern seaboard like wildfire."  

Better go and install the security patch soonest!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 10:49:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  the Lungfish album is pretty ggod, but of the others, only Parliament and Throbbing Gristle ring a bell.
i trust that you have heard of bach, and only excluded him because everyone should know bach.
OU812

thirsty moore

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
Man, just think how awesome a band with Bach, Mozart, Gershwin, and Jim Morrison would be.

redsock

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Originally posted by redsock:
i trust that you have heard of bach, and only excluded him because everyone should know bach. [/b]
Teach me to skim a list... yes, Bach, Bootsy Collins and Napalm Death should be added to 'artists' I've heard of, and of the former two, actually heard also.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 11:01:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Man, just think how awesome a band with Bach, Mozart, Gershwin, and Jim Morrison would be.
i think they'd all beat up gershwin. . .cole porter would be more their style, plus, he'd have all the drug hook-ups.  also, think of the competition between mozart and morrison for the groupies.
OU812

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 11:02:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
Isn't that Modest Mouse?

thirsty moore

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
True enough.  I'm sure A-Moz's high pitched giggle and powedered wig would beat Morrison's vacant stare.

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
   also, think of the competition between mozart and morrison for the groupies.

Jaguär

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 01:12:00 am »
Terry Riley and AWK in the same thread is something that I would have never imagined in a million years, let alone on AWK's own list. That's just not right!

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 09:50:00 am »
Did anyone catch AWK on Kilborn last nite?