Author Topic: acid mothers temple roll call  (Read 1857 times)

snailhook

acid mothers temple roll call
« on: June 16, 2004, 06:40:00 pm »
so, who DOESN'T care about the beastie boys and would rather see some amazing psychedelia made by four hairy japanese guys?

AMT are one of the most insane live experiences, if you're prone to enjoying 30-minute mindmelting jams along the lines of hawkwind, krautrock, 1971 pink floyd, and a dash of motorhead and butthole surfers. i've been looking forward to this for the last few months.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: acid mothers temple roll call
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 07:02:00 pm »
Where? When? How much?
😐 🎶

walkman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 07:09:00 pm »
obviously you know I'd love to be there, but I'm off...this is my last post for a while...so long snail, stay psyched.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 07:11:00 pm »
I thought this was last week at ottobar! Damn......I just got a call from some friends in B town......looks like I may have to attend.......too bad I'm not in high school and eating A anymore......sounds like a weird one.....

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 07:28:00 pm »
yeah, this will be tomorrow at the ottobar. i think the cover is $10, and the show should start at 10. leprechaun catering opens, and they feature someone who's been involved in the experimental baltimore scene for years and who had played with jad fair/half japanese. psychic paramount is the other opener and has something to do with laddio bolocko, who were excellent in a skin graft records kind of way.

i've seen acid mothers four times and each time was near religious. i can't accurately describe how ridiculous they are. there are only a few other bands that are as consistently rewarding for me, including dirty three, ghost, bardo pond, sonic youth, godspeed you black emperor, the ex, neil young, and richard thompson, if that gives you any indication.

walkie, good luck on your trip and have fun!

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 07:36:00 pm »
The GBV listserv has had several great reviews of this tour.  One guy was saying they play the same set everytime they play though, not the same set for the tour, but the same set every show they ever do, is that not right?

If it was in DC and on a different day, I might go to the show.

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 07:41:00 pm »
nope, that guy's wrong. all four shows i've seen were totally different, and i have the bootlegs to prove it   ;)  

they do have a few staples to their setlist, but the jams are never the same. the setlists may not vary much from show to show on the same tour, but each tour is very different from the last.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 11:10:00 pm »
did any of you get acid mothers temple split ep with kinski? its great.

snailhook

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 07:49:00 pm »
yeah, that split is wonderful. kinski are another one of my current favs. seen 'em about five times, and will hopefully bring 'em to DC on their next tour.

AMT were on fire last night, and played for about an hour and 45 minutes, 32 of which consisted of the jam "pink lady lemonade" complete with jimmy page-style bowed guitar from kawabata. they were loud as fuck and took off on some ridiculous tangents. my highlight was the middle of the set, a long, slooooow acid-fried burner that oozed like molten lava over the deserted landscapes of the subconscious. the hawkwind, neu!, and amon duul 2 influences were readily apparent last night.

i picked up the tour CD, which features two cuts: a 27-minute neu!-ish jam called "hypnotic liquid machine from the golden utopia", and a 16-minute version of zappa's "willie the pimp."

ratioci nation

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 08:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  kinski are another one of my current favs. seen 'em about five times, and will hopefully bring 'em to DC on their next tour.
please do, I know at least 3 people who will be there if that helps   ;)

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 08:09:00 pm »
i'll try my hardest! half of my friends would go, too. they've never played in DC before, but the warehouse is beckoning!

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 03:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  so, who DOESN'T care about the beastie boys and would rather see some amazing psychedelia made by four hairy japanese guys?

ME!!!!!!!

Too bad I couldn't make the show but I had seriously considered going when it was first announced.

BTW, did anyone catch the Legendary Pink Dots when they played the Velvet Lounge the other week? If so, how was it? Another show I seriously considered attending.

As much as I love my job, I HATE work nights!

snailhook

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »
jaguar, i had the night off and was planning on seeing LPD, but i ended up working late and didn't feel like going to the velvet lounge, which was certain to be packed and annoying. if the show was at the black cat, i would have went. i've seen the dots twice and they put on a great show both times.

you should think about checking out trad gras och stenar in baltimore on 7/1. they are sort of the can/amon duul 2 of sweden.