Author Topic: The Magic Numbers  (Read 1926 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
The Magic Numbers
« on: September 16, 2005, 10:53:00 am »
"Borrowed" a copy of The Magic Numbers UK release to listen to on my recent roadtrip.  It will probably land squarely in my top five releases of the year.   It's intelligent pop at it's finest.  Well crafted  , tuneful, and catchy.  A dash of folk, power pop, pysch pop, etc all nicely mixed together.  It's vastly more consistent than other highly touted debuts albums that have come out this year.  I would  recommend it for fans of Delgados, De Novo Dahl, The Coral, etc.

It's a shame they are being wasted away on the fans of Conor, who will surely be texting away or comparing Hot Topic fashions, instead of paying attention to them.  They should be at the Black Cat playing to a small but wildly supportive crowd.
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: The Magic Numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 10:55:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  It's a shame they are being wasted away on the fans of Conor, who will surely be texting away or comparing Hot Topic fashions, instead of paying attention to them.
Bad form - I, for one, will be showing up early to see them, and the tour hasn't even started, so it's presumptuous to complain about what a fan base MIGHT do to an opener.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 11:03:00 am »
don't you know that liking bright eyes automatically makes you a terrible person?
o/\o

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  don't you know that liking bright eyes automatically makes you a terrible person?
My username implies another board member gave me a blowjob. Terrible person was achieved awhile ago.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 11:41:00 am »
that's forgivable, conor is not
o/\o

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 11:41:00 am »
i'm not implying the bright eyes fans are bad, it's just that there is six things on thier minds, and the magic numbers wont be one of them.
T.Rex

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
Six what? Centimeters?

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  i'm not implying the bright eyes fans are bad, it's just that there is six things on thier minds, and the magic numbers wont be one of them.

twangirl

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 02:18:00 pm »
I saw the Magic Numbers at SXSW this year, and was very impressed. Hadn't heard anything about them before, and only went because I didn't have any plans for that time slot and I was with a friend who was interested in checking them out. Based on what I saw, they are fully capable of winning over the Bright Eyes crowd.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
for purely selfish reasons they should be playing the black cat...
T.Rex

Arlette

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 03:10:00 pm »
I'm going to this show because of The Magic Numbers; not a big Bright Eys fan. Am so happy I'll be able to see them, but yes, I would much rather see them headlining at a smaller venue.

I'll be going to Vegoose in October in Vegas and was psyched to see them added to the lineup.