Author Topic: DJ Shadow  (Read 1307 times)

helicon1

DJ Shadow
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:56:00 pm »
Wow, I just listened to his new album all the way through. F'in genius, maybe album of the year? Outkast is so yesterday!

azaghal1981

Re: DJ Shadow
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:04:00 pm »
It's no private Press or Endtroducing but then again, he clearly wanted it to be something different (and more accessible?).
احمد

Jesse

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 10:09:00 pm »
I'm Really not digging the "hyphy" tracks (turf dancing, Keep em close).

but I'm liking the rest. especailly Backstage Girl.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:21:00 am »
Pitchfork dissed it, 5.8, I haven't heard it though.

helicon1

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:42:00 am »
It's a total departure from his "Trip-hop" albums of yesteryear. It does sound more mainstream and there are a few tracks likely to be big on the club scene. But once you get past all that and take a good hard listen, it's genius.

This is one that will need to grow on people.

taperkat

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:01:00 am »
I'd tend to agree. If you're looking for old ancient Shadow, aka Endroducing or Preemptive Strike (Private Press isn't old, it's the beginning of the new, sorry), this is not your album. If you're just looking for a musical genius flapping his wings, this is it. It's taking a bit for me, and un/fortunately there are 6 other CDs that have released in the last month that are getting more spins. I was really pleased to see The Outsider on the main "released this week" at Best Buy though.

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 04:11:00 pm »
The same thing was said about the private press once it came out and now it's hailed by many (myself included) as a masterpiece. He definitely tries to reinvent himself with every album which is more than what you can say for most artists.

Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
  But once you get past all that and take a good hard listen, it's genius.

This is one that will need to grow on people.
احمد

memattp

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »
If it was made by anyone except Shadow everyone would say its crap

hoitel

• hello. world.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
 If it was made by anyone except Shadow everyone would say its crap
i'm a big Shadow fan and I second that big time. i think it's cool that he's trying new things for himself, but honesty is honesty. i mean -- his hyphy stuff isn't even good hyphy. i'm still waiting for the whole thing to grow on me (i wasn't completely feeling The Private Press for about a day -- then it hit me like a bear training to fight Mike Tyson [?])...