Author Topic: Pernice Bros/Long Winters thurs  (Read 2397 times)

Bags

Re: Pernice Bros/Long Winters thurs
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 03:14:00 pm »
DAMN they play with great bands as well -- BB, Pernice and Decemberists.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2004, 03:21:00 pm »
long winters also toured with nada surf, don't know if that show made it here.

ratioci nation

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 03:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Balls:
  long winters also toured with nada surf, don't know if that show made it here.
no, here it was some crappy power pop band, Ozma, with Nada Surf

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2004, 09:32:00 am »
I thought both bands were very good.

Long Winters exceeded my expectations. Better live than on record. The singer was charming, and his between song banter was hysterical.

Pernice Brothers rebounded well from their lackluster Baltimore show in Dec. Probably the second best of five shows I've seen Joe do.

Mark this date...Balls just gave a completely positive show review.

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2004, 09:48:00 am »
I thought both bands were great as well.  The Long Winters sounded different this time without Sean Nelson, the missing keyboard player.  The harmonies between he and John (the lead singer) last time was the best part of the show.  But they made up for that by playing a more energetic set and generally being fun on stage.

The Pernice Brothers sounded great, a couple of songs I wish they had done but can't really complain.  I did not realize that Joe Pernice looks like Billy Joel in person.

Bags

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2004, 10:05:00 am »
I thought the Long Winters were fantastic.  I really like the album, and the band is energetic and enjoys being there and playing so much.  It's amazing the difference that makes (and is why I can't stand The Raveonettes, as the best example I can think of to represent the other end of the spectrum).  The lead singer is a guy I'd want to have a beer with and maybe even go on a road trip to Austin with, say.  Music was fun, well done, a couple of real gems (Cinnamon, New Girl...)

After that, the Pernice Brothers were quite a bit calmer and brought the energy down for me -- though they are a tight band and their songs are superior, some of the best writtens songs today perhaps.  I enjoyed it immensely.  But, I don't love watching Joe perform (he doesn't bother me, but he doesn't inspire me...).  Some folks spoke to him after and said he's super nice, which I believe.  It was a night of the super fun vs the super nice.  Not a bad "square off."

Overall great show and a lot of fun.  I can't believe I'm missing the Long Winters play with Decemberists at 9:30 in June....  :(

Bags

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
From Saturday's Washington Post:

Pernice Brothers at Black Cat

Along with the Pernice Brothers CDs and stickers available for sale at the Black Cat's merchandise table Thursday was "Two Blind Pigeons," a slim book of poetry by Joe Pernice, the band's singer and songwriter.

Pernice's poems, like his lyrics, are melancholic slices of life filled with wistful images and lines that hint at the beauty in sadness and the sadness in beauty. They are rueful odes to death, the passing of time and the futility of trying to make sense of anything at all. That might seem like a downcast outlook for a rock band, but the Pernice Brothers wrap a buoyant sound around the world-weary words. The result is smart, serious power pop in the tradition of Matthew Sweet, Elvis Costello, Big Star and maybe anyone who ever wrote a bouncy song that made someone cry.

A good-size crowd paid rapt attention (well, except for the drunk couple grinding against each other in the middle of the floor) for 90 minutes as Pernice held forth with his band mates -- guitarist Peyton Pinkerton, bassist Thom Monahan, longtime Matthew Sweet drummer Ric Menck and keyboardist James Walbourne. (Joe's brother Bob records with the band but rarely tours.) Barely pausing between songs, they furrowed their brows and went to work, dishing up favorites such as"Sometimes I Remember," "The Weakest Shade of Blue" and "Monkey Suit."

Returning for an encore, the 36-year-old singer went it alone and played acoustic guitar on "Bum Leg" and "Prince Valium." Scrunched over and singing every song with his eyes closed, he looked as if he were trying to inhabit whatever mood he was in when he first created a song. It's a dark place, so it was a relief that he opened his eyes and smiled when the songs ended.

-- Joe Heim