Author Topic: Rainer Maria (the Coheed show)  (Read 1951 times)

jkeisenh

Rainer Maria (the Coheed show)
« on: April 14, 2004, 09:28:00 am »
OK, so I don't know the first thing about who or what Coheed and Cambria is, but I know Ranier Maria and am somewhat peeved that I couldn't get tickets...

Did anyone catch the show last night?  (Particularly the Rainer Maria set?)  I'm just wondering what they're like on a "big" stage.

That and I'd be interested to hear what it is that C&C have that makes them selloutable...

grotty

Re: Rainer Maria (the Coheed show)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 10:22:00 am »
This probably at least partially explains the sellout:

Road Rules

thirsty moore

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 10:27:00 am »
Yes, how was Rainer Maria?  I used to see them play a lot.

jakez468

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 10:50:00 am »
i left after ffaf, and then returned to see coheed. they are the worst fucking band ive ever heard. well that may be a bit of an over statement, but they blow, and i have no idea why/how they have so many fans. fyi, i got tix for free, otherwise i would never have attended this show.

distance

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 12:09:00 pm »
i personally don't know what the big deal is about coheed & cambria.  i saw them about 2 years ago in a bar opening for explosions in the sky and there were MAYBE 20 people total at the show (less people stayed for EITS too).

funny how quickly things change in a couple years.

eltee

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
I'm hoping they come back around and are the headliner. I missed the show too.

jkeisenh

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »
So what I'm hearing is that almost nobody went, nobody liked it, and nobody saw Rainer Maria.

Hmm.

Any comments on what kind of people were actually in the club last night?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »
i saw rainer maria last year. with mates of state and someone else. (saturday looks good to me?). they were ok. if it was slgtm, they were by far the best.
o/\o

es9450a

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 01:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  Any comments on what kind of people were actually in the club last night?
Just guessing based on my experience as a teenage "emo boy," probably 15-18 year olds that mostly listen to pop-punk but like Coheed because it's "more mature" and "more metal."  Which, relatively speaking, it is.

I do like how every mainstream-media feature on a pop-punk/emo band these days takes great care to compare them only to the Foo Fighters and Green Day.  For example, it's fair to say Story Of The Year sounds like Thursday.  But that makes people think of emo, and people associate emo with this whiny sci-fi Coheed shit.  So instead, the article compares Story Of the Year to Foo Fighters and Green Day, which is really an inaccurate comparison.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 06:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
I'm hoping they come back around and are the headliner. I missed the show too. [/b]
Ditto...I wanted to see Rainer, but was playing it by ear, so I lost out.  Turned out okay as I needed a night at home...hopefully they'll be back.

jakez468

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 01:38:00 am »
coheed sucks...it is amazing the show was sold-out

jkeisenh

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
Some more food for thought on this issue...

from the Washington Post...
 Coheed and Cambria
 The New York art-metal band (are you still reading?) Coheed and Cambria was the reason for a sellout crowd at the 9:30 on Tuesday night. Three other bands were on the bill, including the emo trio Rainer Maria, but while the mostly high school- and college-age crowd greeted the openers with polite applause, it erupted when C&C finally took the stage.

The four-piece band -- named for two of the characters in its fantasy-based songs -- wasted no time fueling the frenzy. Fists pumped and a flurry of crowd surfing broke out as the group started with the title track to last year's album "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3."

With a pulled-back Afro that sticks out a foot on each side of his head, lead singer and guitarist Claudio Sanchez has the look of a fevered lion. "For you I'd do anything / Just to make you happy / Hear you tell me that you're proud of me," he sings, and everyone, it seems, is singing along with each intently felt word.

And so it goes the rest of the night. The band speeds through spacey metal riffs -- think Pink Floyd, but faster and louder -- and the audience responds as if under the spell of a mad shaman. Sanchez is aided by guitarist Travis Stever, bassist Michael Todd and drummer Joshua Eppard, all economical musicians who bash out a great sound with a minimum of rock pretense or showmanship.

Songs like "Blood Red Summer" and "Time Consumer," like almost all of Coheed's songs, are cathartic rock -- fierce and yet intensely melodic.

More than anything, though, the music is communal. The band's obscure, sci-fi-ish lyrics are so dense it is often impossible to know what the songs are about, but they all share a feeling of a battle being joined or a journey being shared. The crowd on this night was thrilled to go along for the ride.

-- Joe Heim

And then, from the Going Out Gurus:
 Washington, D.C.: Joe, I can't believe you didn't mention Rainer Maria in your Coheed & Cambria review today. Did you see them. What did you think?

The Going Out Gurus: Well, if I had mentioned them I'm afraid I wouldn't have had anything nice to say. I thought they were a great bore.

Ranier Maria I'm a fan of and have seen live at least 3 times. They have a solid sound and play well live.

Can't help but think, Joe, that it's your taste in music judging (i.e. emo is slow- get used to it) rather than assessing the bands' talent.

The Going Out Gurus: Well, I guess we just disagree. But I like lots of slow quiet music and there's lots of hard, loud music that I can't stand. But Rainer Maria was a drag. They were just slow in an uninteresting, uninspired sort of way.

OK, forum-ers, who posted these questions to the GOG's?  T'wasn't me, I assure you...