Author Topic: Wash Post Top Shows and Albums of 2002  (Read 5459 times)

ggw

Wash Post Top Shows and Albums of 2002
« on: January 03, 2003, 11:21:00 am »
The Best of 2002's Concerts and CDs: Our Online Readers' Survey <P><BR>By Joe Heim <BR>washingtonpost.com Staff Writer<BR>Tuesday, December 31, 2002<P><BR>I get little sympathy from my friends on those rare occasions when I complain about my job. But going out several nights every week to see live music can wear you down a bit. For instance, I could have done without sitting bleary-eyed through the tedious Lambchop show at the Black Cat, the even more tedious Cousteau at the 9:30 and the overrated Strokes at Constitution Hall. And even though I'm a big Dolly Parton fan, I was disappointed with her 9:30 show where she read all of her lyrics off a teleprompter. I mean, it's not like she was singing covers. She wrote those songs herself! <P>But on the whole, the bad shows were few and far between. It was another strong year for live music in our area with standout performances by Richard Thompson at the Birchmere, Alan Jackson at the Patriot Center, Norah Jones at Iota, Earl Scruggs at the Birchmere, Fugazi at Fort Reno, Salif Keita at Lisner, Bonnie Raitt at Constitution Hall and Dave Alvin at Iota among many others. There were also shows that I didn't make it to, but heard good things about like the Hives at the Black Cat, Paul Westerberg at the 9:30, the Smokin' Grooves tour at Nissan and Common at the 9:30. <P>Admittedly, no one is forcing me to pick the year's best concerts and CDs, but like any self-serving music writer, I'm going to do it anyway. And guess what, you can too. After all, that's the beauty of the Internet, isn't it? So submit your picks for the best (and worst, if you must) music of 2002. Please keep it as short and interesting as you can; we'll post new reader responses regularly. <P>I'll start. <P>The Year's best concerts:<BR>1. Etta James at the Warner Theatre, July 11 The soul legend is as down and dirty as 'Lil Kim without ever having to utter an obscenity. A gem of a show <BR>2. Bruce Springsteen at the MCI Center, Aug. 10 On a healing mission since 9/11, the Boss and the E Street Band will not stop until their work is done.<BR>3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Black Cat, March 21 Living up to the hype is never easy. But this Brooklyn rock trio put on a brief, but memorably outrageous performance that matched the pre-show buzz. <BR>4. Linton Kwesi Johnson at the 9:30, Sept. 15 A rare U.S. show by the icy-cool reggae dub poet felt like a glimpse into a simmering soul.<BR>5. Bob Dylan at the Patriot Center, Nov. 22 The end of the Never-Ending tour saw Bob dropping to his knees to play "Summer Days." And keener eyes than mine noticed he placed his Oscar statue on top of his amp.<BR>6. Musiq at the 9:30, May 30 One of the upstarts of second-generation Philly soul, Musiq (formerly Musiq Soulchild) made a convincing case for the new breed.<BR>7. James Brown at the 9:30, Feb. 25 On a cold, cold night, the godfather of soul led a giant band through a smoldering, hit-laden revue.<BR>8. Sigur Ros at the Lincoln Theatre, Nov. 4 Iceland's most famous export since Bjork played lots of lush songs with no names and the result was both hypnotic and moving.<BR>9. Rilo Kiley at Metro Cafe July 22 Magical and entrancing indie rock from a California band I'd never heard of until I saw them at this show.<BR>10. Kid Rock at the Patriot Center, May 11 There's lots to loathe about Kid Rock, but Pam Anderson's beau does have fun in concert. Even if he destroys your hearing in the process.<P><BR>The Year's Best CDs (or a dozen I'd recommend buying):<BR>1. Bruce Springsteen "The Rising" (Sony)<BR>2. Sleater-Kinney "One Beat" (Kill Rock Stars)<BR>3. Common "Electric Circus" (MCA)<BR>4. Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" (Blue Note) <BR>5. The Beatings "Italiano" (MidRiff) <BR>6. Eminem "The Eminem Show" (Aftermath/Interscope) <BR>7. Rilo Kiley "The Execution of All Things" (Saddle Creek)<BR>8. Billy Joe Shaver "Freedom" (Compadre)<BR>9. The Roots "Phrenology" (MCA) <BR>10. Nina Nastasia "The Blackened Air" (Touch and Go) <BR>11. Wilco "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" (Nonesuch)<BR>12. Canyon "Empty Rooms" (Gern)<P><BR>Finally, the year's worst music moment: The early-morning phone call from my friend Luke telling me that Joe Strummer had died. <P>

kurosawa-b/w

Re: Wash Post Top Shows and Albums of 2002
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
Interesting that he should mention The Beatings album. (That's the US Beatings and not the UK Beatings, I assume.) I have been wanting to see them and missed them twice when they did shows in the area.

paige

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 01:22:00 pm »
he seems to be a big bruce fan. me on the other hand....not so much.

Henry Dark

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2003, 01:26:00 pm »
What I heard off of The Rising to me simply sucked. And this coming from a Springsteen fan.

saco

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2003, 02:43:00 pm »
"The Rising" certainly aint no "Darkness on the Edge of Town" or "Nebraska", my fav Bruce CD's, but after seeing some of the songs perfomed live I gained more appreciation for it.

Dandy01

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 03:48:00 pm »
that may explain why it's on sale for $5.99 at Best Buy.

Captain Jack

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2003, 08:19:00 pm »
"Linton Kwesi Johnson at the 9:30, Sept. 15 A rare U.S. show by the icy-cool reggae dub poet felt like a glimpse into a simmering soul."<P><BR>Oh man!, LKJ is awesome. I remember Steve from Pietasters told everyone to go that show the the next day, so I listened to some Linton Kwesi Johnson, oh shit, it's awesome. It's awesome dub reggae with lots of soul, with these bitchin poems set in London, a lot of them are about cops beating one his friends.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2003, 09:35:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Jack:<BR><B>"Linton Kwesi Johnson at the 9:30, Sept. 15 A rare U.S. show by the icy-cool reggae dub poet felt like a glimpse into a simmering soul."<P><BR>Oh man!, LKJ is awesome. I remember Steve from Pietasters told everyone to go that show the the next day, so I listened to some Linton Kwesi Johnson, oh shit, it's awesome. It's awesome dub reggae with lots of soul, with these bitchin poems set in London, a lot of them are about cops beating one his friends.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That was an excellent show -- at least LKJ's segment.  I thought the opening poetess was a little over the top in her white-hate.  <P>LKJ, besides being an excellent lyricist, is also a great performer, and the Dennis Bovell Dub Band was ace.  Everyone should own some LKJ -- Dread Beat and Blood, or Bass Culture, or, frankly, any of his albums.<P>His later albums aren't available in the U.S., due to a fight with Island Records.  You can get them at <A HREF="http://www.lkjrecords.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.lkjrecords.com[/url]