Author Topic: thank you, american university  (Read 1588 times)

HoyaSaxa03

thank you, american university
« on: May 19, 2005, 04:06:00 pm »
well, i was getting ready for a move up to NYC to attend brooklyn law school next fall, when i got the call off the waitlist from american.

so you have their admissions officers to blame for me sticking around here for a few more years ...
(o|o)

jkeisenh

Re: thank you, american university
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 04:13:00 pm »
funny, that.  i just made the quite-clever decision to tell all my schools that i'm not coming.  to any of them.

i figured going $120K into debt to get a job less exciting and that pays less than i make now wasn't a wise decision.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 04:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  well, i was getting ready for a move up to NYC to attend brooklyn law school next fall, when i got the call off the waitlist from american.

so you have their admissions officers to blame for me sticking around here for a few more years ...
well now that you will be an eagle can you take the damn Hoya out of your name?

Bags

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 04:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
 i figured going $120K into debt to get a job less exciting and that pays less than i make now wasn't a wise decision.
I have no opinion on the wiseness of your decision, though I'm puzzled that it appears you only have one job option coming out of law school.  I know JDs with all SORTS of jobs, many quite fascinating and exciting, and several very well paid.  (Though I will admit that the pay and the excitement level often seem to be at odds...)

Why did you apply to several schools -- did your perception or understanding of job opportunities change since you paid all those application fees?

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

No ivy league for you

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »
heh, one of my friends is going to brooklyn next year, hopefully. sounds like a nice place
o/\o

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 04:46:00 pm »
I've been to brooklyn...it sucks!

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 04:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
   I know JDs with all SORTS of jobs, many quite fascinating and exciting,  
Thank you, Bags.
27>34

jkeisenh

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 04:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Why did you apply to several schools -- did your perception or understanding of job opportunities change since you paid all those application fees?
yes.
 i actually talked to several people that do what i thought i wanted to do, and discovered that it was horrible.
 as in, terribly boring.
 as in, the job i would want all of 10 people in the us have and all of them went to top 3 schools.  i didn't get into top 3 schools.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 04:54:00 pm »
Congrats, Chimbly, for researching and making an informed decision.  One of my pet peeves is folks who go to law school for no apparent reason other than it's a 'logical next step' in their education -- it's a hell of a commitment to make when you're really just not sure what you want to do now that you've graduated from undergrad.  I think there should be a mandatory two-year waiting period before folks go back for law school.  In a perfect world, they'd all have to work at a law firm as well, but it's true that are lots of cool jobs outside of the helatious firm world (as attractive as that money is with $150K of debt hanging over your head).  Still, at least you'd know the worst you may have to deal with...

Inevitably I've done the opposite.  I have a lawyer's job (that I love) but without the JD.   ;)

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  the job i would want all of 10 people in the us have and all of them went to top 3 schools.  
They probably don't have time to hang out on this board all day either, which is the first thing I ask every potential employer.
27>34

ratioci nation

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 04:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 They probably don't have time to hang out on this board all day either
people have jobs like that? poor souls

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 07:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by general grievous:
  well now that you will be an eagle can you take the damn Hoya out of your name?
hell no!
(o|o)