Author Topic: Bars near 930 club  (Read 5015 times)

cardez

Bars near 930 club
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »
Are there any good bars within a few blocks of the 930 Club to pre drink at for the late shows?

thirsty moore

Re: Bars near 930 club
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »
Saloon at 12th and U is good.  You can also check out DC9 or Velvet Lounge.  Both are at 9th and U.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »
You can still get cheap Guinness at Duffy's with your 9:30 ticket. Googlr for location.

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  You can still get cheap Guinness at Duffy's with your 9:30 ticket. Googlr for location.
Second that.  Duffy's is across the street and offers many beer options.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »
Not sure if it's still open but Polly's used to be a favorite place for 930'ers to go pay over the odds for beer while getting insulted by ignorant bar staff.

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »
Isn't the backbar at the club open during the early show and between early and late shows?
احمد

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »
Polly's is still around although it has lost a lot of its charms since changing owners a few years ago.  Last time I was in there the new owners couldn't be bothered to fix the spotty satellite radio reception, which kept cutting out unless the bartender stood in a specific spot, and they'd stopped accepting credit cards -- often a sign of a business on its last legs.  That was many months ago, hopefully things have changed, because it was and could be again a great little hangout.

Don't know about Duffy's...  I've been there once, and maybe it was a bad day, but the food was "meh," the atmosphere totally lacking.

Personally I'd walk another block down to DC9 or over to the Velvet Lounge, both are nice downstairs hangouts.

I second the Saloon as a choice too -- good beer selection and the cheese steaks are divine.  One must be warned that the owner has some rather quirky policies in place, such as no standing, and no loud talking.   It's not like it's a library in there, though.  The rules mainly seem aimed at giving the owner some leverage in minimizing the types who think that having a drink requires them to act like they're freshmen at a college frat party, so it's all good.
_\|/_

Venerable Bede

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
 [QB] Polly's is still around although it has lost a lot of its charms since changing owners a few years ago.  Last time I was in there the new owners couldn't be bothered to fix the spotty satellite radio reception, which kept cutting out unless the bartender stood in a specific spot, and they'd stopped accepting credit cards -- often a sign of a business on its last legs.  [QB]
one of the many annoyances of living in san francisco is the large number of establishments that are cash only.  my local bar, which is no hole in the wall, is a cash only place.  the smugness factor is also very high in many of these places, as they relish telling people who try to pay with a debit card that the place is cash only.  i'm guessing they are making a statement that they won't be beholden to credit card companies.
OU812

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
 [QB] Polly's is still around although it has lost a lot of its charms since changing owners a few years ago.  Last time I was in there the new owners couldn't be bothered to fix the spotty satellite radio reception, which kept cutting out unless the bartender stood in a specific spot, and they'd stopped accepting credit cards -- often a sign of a business on its last legs.  [QB]
one of the many annoyances of living in san francisco is the large number of establishments that are cash only.  my local bar, which is no hole in the wall, is a cash only place.  the smugness factor is also very high in many of these places, as they relish telling people who try to pay with a debit card that the place is cash only.  i'm guessing they are making a statement that they won't be beholden to credit card companies. [/b]
or they are attempting to bring back the idea of holding up bars near closing.

tigersscareme

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »
I miss the old polly's.
 They hands down had the best, most reasonably priced burger in the city.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »
Tigers scare me:  I agree.  That burger's excellence is sorely missed.  

Wonderland has an excellent burger these days although a bit inconvenient to U Street.  

Bede: it appears that in different regions, there are different reasons for cash only.

If your reporting is accurate, in SF it's holier-than-thou smugness.

In NY/NJ/PA, it means the establishment may be mob-owned.

Here in DC, it just means the owner's cheap.
_\|/_