Author Topic: Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton  (Read 3018 times)

Jesse

Re: Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 02:49:00 am »
I was at this show too

i really enjoyed it. I wouldn't say amazing, but Emily was still very good.

deffinetly worth the 15 bucks.

Reod Dai

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 04:03:00 am »
Awesome show, I'm really glad I decided to come down for this one.  And yes, it was pretty damn cold in there.  Emily didn't even notice, apparently, and seemed almost apologetic about it when it was mentioned to her afterwards because "that's the kind of thing that can detract from a show and I can't even do anything about it".  Still, I really enjoyed her set.  She almost lost me with the whole Jimmi Hendrix thing, but managed to make it lead somewhere in the end.   :)    And yes, the last song was a Buffalo Springfield cover, not sure of the name.  I asked her about it after the show.  It was worth standing around outside in the cold to talk to her for a bit when she finally came out, and to witness the signing of the "Haines Dr." street sign.  There was also this crazy guy with a TON of different pictures he asked her to sign, many of them scans he made of BSS album art.  And she was apparently the last BSS member he needed to sign several albums he had with him (indeed, there were signatures all over the liner notes and CDs).  That's a lot of people he managed to have sign those.  Crazy, I tell you.  She was really cool, though.

Originally posted by Joe M.
 ggw, what energy do you expect from a singer who sings depressing songs?

(though, the album is not really all that depressing)
Inspiring, according to that one fan.   :)

Also, this was my first seated show at the club, and I must say I liked it.

snailhook

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »
i suppose i am going to be the lone voice of dissension here. i went to the show because i booked tall firs last year and wanted to see how they've progressed. i worked that metric show two or three years ago and wasn't impressed at all, so i can't count myself as an emily haines fan.

i like what tall firs do but it's much more suited for small venues than the 930 stage. it's subtle stuff, not spectacular, but good. sort of like how i always felt about the anomoanon (will oldham's brother's band in baltimore). the drummer is fantastic, though, and i enjoy just watching him play. their last song was definitely the highlight and i was hoping they'd stretch that out a bit more.

as for emily haines & the soft skeleton, i was pretty much unmoved. the soft skeleton is an appropriate moniker for the band and the music, though, as the songs seem to be skeletal frameworks instead of fully developed pieces, and the band doesn't play with much conviction or energy. her piano melodies are simple and unimaginative, her vocals blase, and the lyrics mostly trite. the hendrix rant was embarrassing. honestly, there was nothing there that was gripping or provocative. i left before the buffalo springfield cover; i'm glad i didn't hear it but i am curious as to which one she decided to butcher.

Robert

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 i suppose i am going to be the lone voice of dissension here. i went to the show because i booked tall firs last year and wanted to see how they've progressed. i worked that metric show two or three years ago and wasn't impressed at all, so i can't count myself as an emily haines fan.

i like what tall firs do but it's much more suited for small venues than the 930 stage. it's subtle stuff, not spectacular, but good. sort of like how i always felt about the anomoanon (will oldham's brother's band in baltimore). the drummer is fantastic, though, and i enjoy just watching him play. their last song was definitely the highlight and i was hoping they'd stretch that out a bit more.

as for emily haines & the soft skeleton, i was pretty much unmoved. the soft skeleton is an appropriate moniker for the band and the music, though, as the songs seem to be skeletal frameworks instead of fully developed pieces, and the band doesn't play with much conviction or energy. her piano melodies are simple and unimaginative, her vocals blase, and the lyrics mostly trite. the hendrix rant was embarrassing. honestly, there was nothing there that was gripping or provocative. i left before the buffalo springfield cover; i'm glad i didn't hear it but i am curious as to which one she decided to butcher.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could've just written "Hey, look at me!"

Reod Dai

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »
I'll agree with Snailhook on one thing.  I only caught the last two songs of Tall Firs' set, but I liked what I heard.  The last song was indeed rather awesome.

imaginarycolors

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 06:07:00 am »
Well I must say the Tall Firs was quite a yawn, everything kind of sounded the same was my problem and it wasn't a good sound either. I did enjoy Emily Haines's humor, especially her joke about something reminding her about a car buyer place. Musically, it was good, which kind of surprised me since I didn't give her album much of a chance. My gf enjoyed it but she loves the album anyway. Kind of wish she didn't breeze through 5 songs so maybe I did just want to her humor.