Author Topic: L'arc~en~Ciel?  (Read 1266 times)

Ai-chan

L'arc~en~Ciel?
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »
no, I am not French. they're a band, and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about their tour dates. Everything i find is in japanese, and even I am not that good to translate it. If anyone knows the dates, and locales, or itf they're coming here, I would he evernally grateful.

taperkat

Re: L'arc~en~Ciel?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »
The last time I knew of them being in the area was a few months ago. I first saw them at Otakon... 4 or 5 years ago. They're a japanese band (rather obviously), hence why you probably won't see info on them other than Japanese.

I play Final Fantasy XI in a Japanese based LS, and we often talk about music. if i find anything out i'll post it. lol.

flawd101

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:17:00 am »
the only way you will see them in the states is at otakon or something like that.  its the only place a crowd that listens to them will gather.

Ai-chan

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »
thank you... It is rather obvious that they are japanese, i just figured that enough people might like them that they would have info in something other than japanese. I mean, the vocalist, Hideto/Hyde speaks and writes in English and Japanese really good.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 10:20:00 pm »
(Hmm... street teamer ahoy?)

Their website does have an English version.  The tour dates are listed only in Japanese (at http://www.larc-en-ciel.com/jp/popup/Tour2007.html ), but they're all for Japanese cities.

There's no real market in the U.S. for commercial Japanese music.  To have much of a following here, Japanese projects generally need to have some sort of indie/underground cred and/or critical acclaim (Pizzicato Five, Fantastic Plastic Machine, the Boredoms, Ryuichi Sakamoto, etc.).  I think Puffy (a.k.a. Puffy AmiYumi) sort of squeezed in because of their retro-pop sound, and they were spun as "offbeat."

I can't remember what the L'Arc-En-Ciel vocalist's English diction is like, but that also poses a stumbling block for a lot of Japanese artists.  Pizzicato Five's Maki Nomiya has very good English diction, but Aco and a lot of others don't.  Fantastic Plastic Machine used a Japanese vocalist in an English-language song on his album "Beautiful," and I remember wincing when I heard her sing, "Set me free and fry away."

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »
_\|/_