Author Topic: All ages: Graham considering "emergency legislation  (Read 11134 times)

kookiemnstr8

Re: All ages: Graham considering "emergency legislation
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »
The difference between a 21 year old body and 17 year old body is that the 21 year old can vote.

I went to the round table.  Ian Mackaye, Dante, Jean from 9:30 on Seth's behalf, that guy that does sound at Fort Reno, DC9s owner, a bunch of old school D.C. punks, etc provided testimony.  Graham essentially talked in circles all night.  Fuller report tomorrow if I have the energy.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2007, 11:23:00 pm »
Wow... that would've been worth going to even just to see that old-skool turnout...
_\|/_

lukiedookie89

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2007, 12:23:00 am »
A full report on the meeting would be great, I'm dying to know how it went.  I just don't understand how Graham's position would hold up.  There's simply no argument for it.  
 This has added so much unnecessary stress to my life.  I'm about to explode.

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2007, 07:59:00 am »
Hey Betty, how about hiking/camping, or tennis, or skiing, or board games, or knitting?

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2007, 10:12:00 am »
It was good to see some old school faces as well as the clubs that are responsible out there making sure they're not going to get screwed.

Marion Barry...WHY? Seriously, what did he add to the round table other than comedic value with his cell phone? Mentioning of spending the city's money to create underage clubs for kids to go? Umm you've already got those in place, just use them, they're called Rec Centers!

Kwame Brown seems to at least be understanding and knows keeping young people out of bars is not the answer. What would his 16 year old nephew do or kids coming home from college that are not 21?

While I didn't stay for the entire round table, it really seemed to develop around security at "go-go" type clubs. This was definitely an isolated incident with a horrible club owner. The owner has been saying the band "rented" the club from him to hold the event and they supplied the security. The club owner was not present at all. As Councilman Brown said, regardless if you rent out a club, you're still the license holder. Just like if someone comes into your house to do work, it's still your house and you're responsible.

The victim's family was there. We learned that this club would allow anyone into the club without ID. Just pay another $5 (which security would pocket) and you're in. Some as young as 14 doing this and testified that it's also no problem getting alcohol. Just pay the bartender an extra $10 and you're set. Again, the council also said it's no different than a young person paying someone off in front of a corner market.

There was surprise testimony from a band member of one of the go-go bands that played. Apparently, the club owner has been trying to bribe them to cover his ass. We also learned that the bartender who is happy to give drinks to anyone for an extra $10 was also the club owner. The band member also went on to say that the police did not do anything at all to try and save the girl, only deal with the problem outside. The security got everyone out of the club instead of keeping everyone there to be questioned, so the gunman got away.  It took approx. 35 mins for anyone to touch her from any DC emergency person. The band was able to break their gear down and no one was allowed to even attempt CPR on her. The council was not pleased with hearing this.

There was a lot of things that went wrong with this club and the council does see that and knows you can't just keep young people out. They've looked at other options from other cities like Boston (having a min age of 14 to be allowed into establishments) and mentioned that only 5 states have laws in place were you have to be 21 and over to enter no matter what.  I think they will be creating a new license type for live entertainment establishments that would like to hold all age events.

I'm sure more people will fill you in on more info . Too much to keep typing.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2007, 10:38:00 am »
Marion Barry...WHY? Seriously, what did he add to the round table other than comedic value with his cell phone?
Wasn't Barry included in that yellowpunk walking tour of DC thing?  I seem to remember him turning up somewhere to talk about how great the early punk scene was.  Maybe he's more of an ally on this than you think.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
In today's Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/25/AR2007012502200.html

D.C. Clubs Dreading Proposed Teen Ban
 Hearing Exposes Easy Alcohol Access

By Keith L. Alexander and Darragh Johnson
 Washington Post Staff Writers
 Friday, January 26, 2007; A01

District nightclubs, which have become the center of a thriving music scene that attracts fans and performers from across the country, could be devastated by a proposal to bar teenagers from establishments with liquor licenses, according to musicians and club owners who say the business relies significantly on youths.

Saturday's killing of Taleshia Ford, 17, in a Northwest club spurred an often heated, standing-room-only crowd yesterday at a D.C. Council hearing over a multipronged proposal to place new restrictions on nightclubs where alcohol is served.

Nightclub owners said that the District, unlike many cities in the country, has become a popular destination for bands and clubgoers because of its all-ages policies. They allow club owners to admit patrons as young as they choose -- typically a minimum age of 15 to 18 -- even if the establishment serves alcohol that is legal only for those at least 21.

"The artists don't particularly like to play to 21-and-older clubs," said Steve Lambert, talent booker for the Rock and Roll Hotel on H Street Northeast. "A lot of their audiences are college-aged, between 18 and 21, and they depend on those people to buy tickets to the show."

In emotional testimony that lasted almost two hours, about a dozen of Ford's relatives and friends called for better security in clubs that cater to teenagers.

Many at the hearing defended the venues, saying they strictly enforce age limits. "Some clubs, like H2O, 9:30 Club, the Black Cat, Platinum and Envy -- they do it very well," said Ronald Moten, co-founder of Peaceaholics, an organization that works to solve disputes among youth. "They monitor for fake IDs, they have bracelets or stamps they put on people who're underage, and they're very strict on this."

The clubs feature a range of music, from the hard-thumping go-go to indie-rock, reggae, hip hop and rhythm and blues.

The District's all-ages policies allow nightclubs to attract larger audiences, particularly die-hard teenage music fans. But many teenagers admitted yesterday that part of the growth of area nightclubs is due to the ease with which young people can obtain alcoholic drinks. Several said they either pay club employees an extra $5 or $10 to get a drink or find a club patron who is 21 or older to buy the drink.

Briejon Smith, 14, Ford's cousin, said that at several city clubs, it is "easy" for teenagers to get alcohol. "All you have to do is slip the bartender $10 and you can get a drink. They ask me if I have ID, and I say 'No,' and then they charge me extra. But I can still get in and order a drink if I wanted to," she said.

Some suburban teenagers, who had left school early to testify at the hearing, said they were concerned that the fatal shooting would give officials a reason to expand restrictions on all clubs, even those that already have tight rules.

Maya Gibson-Reinemer, 18, of Arlington said teenagers go to the clubs mainly to listen to the bands. "You can get drunk anywhere. But where can you see music?" she said.

Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) is considering legislation that would establish a minimum age for patrons within the District. In Boston, those younger than 14 are not permitted into nightclubs that serve alcohol. In some other cities, the minimum age is 21. His proposal would also require teenagers, even when accompanied by a legal-aged adult, to leave the establishment after a certain time.

Graham is also considering creating a new license for nightclubs that want to cater to under-21 patrons. It would require them to have minimum-standard security, training and aggressive monitoring during an event for underage drinking. And he wants to restrict the renting of venues to outside promoters. That was the case Saturday morning at Smarta/Broadway, also known as Club 1919, on Ninth Street just off the bustling U Street corridor. Police said that Ford was shot there when the club's bouncer got into a scuffle with a patron carrying a gun. There have been no arrests.

At least one club's advertised rules regarding teen patrons are vague. The Web site for the Black Cat, at 1811 14th St. NW, says: "Black Cat events are all ages. Patrons under 18 should have parental permission, and we prefer them to be accompanied by an adult."

Graham said he did not want to use the fatal shooting as a way to target go-go clubs, popular nightspots mostly frequented by blacks. Instead, he said, he decided to focus on all nightclubs. At the time of the shooting, the Smarta/Broadway was booked as a venue for local go-go bands. Some go-go dances have been marred by violence, but there is a growing movement to change their reputation by promoting peaceful go-gos.

"There needs to be a safe place for these kids to go. There are safe places out there with extra security and where we don't have to be afraid for our kids' safety," Moten said.

Charles A. Burger, chairman of the D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, said that Smarta/Broadway's liquor license has been suspended since the shooting and that a hearing is scheduled for Monday.

"We're going to get to the bottom of this. This was a troubled establishment doing whatever it needed to do and didn't care one bit about public safety," Graham said.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »
Wasn't Barry included in that yellowpunk walking tour of DC thing? I seem to remember him turning up somewhere to talk about how great the early punk scene was. Maybe he's more of an ally on this than you think.
I do believe he's an ally, but what he had to contribute verbally in his statements other than for the "moment of silence" was nothing but a bunch of jumbled words.  I have no doubt he wants to make sure minors have some type of outlet and can still go to go-gos, nightclubs, or cabarets as he called them.  :)  

I think Brown will be the voice of the youth on this matter though.

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »
Barry will just show his face and make utterances wherever there is a controversy and ublicity to be had...
_\|/_