Author Topic: Hey Seth: VFest's prognosis?  (Read 2960 times)

Tom Servo

Re: Hey Seth: VFest's prognosis?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 12:20:00 pm »
I think Pimlico is reasonably metro accessible - Baltimore metro, that is.  We drove to the Owings Mill stop and then took the shuttle from the Rogers station.  Pretty seamless.  

Walking the 1+ miles back to the metro at 10:30pm through some neighborhoods and dark industrial areas was interesting, but we maybe could have picked a better route.  Nice to not sit in traffic though.

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »
hmmmmmm

maybe we could have the next one at bull run?

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
 I don't see how I'm going to top this year's bill

start with Radiohead  :)

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:

Originally posted by Relaxer:

Mostly I want it at RFK so I can walk eight blocks and be there.
and lets all be honest thats the big reason.
 [/b]
Whoo! You're quite the verbal detective there, gleaning meaning from such cryptic statements. You must be exhausted from analyzing "Mostly I want it at RFK because..." and deducing "that's the big reason."

Just joshin' dude! Except for the part where I say, who cares about Baltimore? DC is a BFD, Baltimore... less so.
oword

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  Whoo! You're quite the verbal detective there, gleaning meaning from such cryptic statements. You must be exhausted from analyzing "Mostly I want it at RFK because..." and deducing "that's the big reason."

i meant you, me, ggw, and everyone else who stated their opinion about the venue.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »
    and as far as the metro goes, BFD, that only helps people who live in DC,  it took me 25 minutes to get home from VFest.   :)  

The sound part would also has something to do with equipment and know how. IMP tends to put up a pretty professional set up so I would assume that would be handled about as best as could be done. Would like for Sir HC to weigh in on this one.

This is the part that really kills me! The DC-centric mentality that the only people who matter are those in the DC area. Christ, how often are we expected to schlep it down to DC for almost every and anything be it work/school night or whatever. Plus, regarding a big festival, those things draw from all over, including other states. I know for a fact that there were others who attended who came in from other surrounding states, and I'm not talking about NOVA. Seems like way too many DC people are like a bunch of ants and refuse to cross the chalk line of the Capitol Beltway unless they can fly out. These same people think nothing of flying across the country for some festival but it would kill them to drive up the road for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Another advantage for holding it in Baltimore is for anyone who chooses to use the Park & Ride, unlike DC, you can park your car for FREE. A little more coordination on the transportation angle would make it an easy deal. During the Preakness, traffic was nothing like it was Saturday so I can only assume that it wasn't solely the Virgin Festival clogging things up. Learn some alternate routes if you need. Personally, I think driving up through the city and past The Ottobar is an easier option.

As far as Pimlico not being thought of as a concert venue, that's lame. Big stadiums aren't usually thought of one either but after a couple times, Pimlico too would be considered just as easily.

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 02:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

Seems like way too many DC people are like a bunch of ants and refuse to cross the chalk line of the Capitol Beltway unless they can fly out. These same people think nothing of flying across the country for some festival but it would kill them to drive up the road for about 45 minutes to an hour.  
hear hear , jag!

<insert Baltimore/chalk line comment from DC person here>

paul3mac

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

and as far as the metro goes, BFD, that only helps people who live in DC,  it took me 25 minutes to get home from VFest.    :)  

The sound part would also has something to do with equipment and know how. IMP tends to put up a pretty professional set up so I would assume that would be handled about as best as could be done. Would like for Sir HC to weigh in on this one.

This is the part that really kills me! The DC-centric mentality that the only people who matter are those in the DC area. Christ, how often are we expected to schlep it down to DC for almost every and anything be it work/school night or whatever. Plus, regarding a big festival, those things draw from all over, including other states. I know for a fact that there were others who attended who came in from other surrounding states, and I'm not talking about NOVA. Seems like way too many DC people are like a bunch of ants and refuse to cross the chalk line of the Capitol Beltway unless they can fly out. These same people think nothing of flying across the country for some festival but it would kill them to drive up the road for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Another advantage for holding it in Baltimore is for anyone who chooses to use the Park & Ride, unlike DC, you can park your car for FREE. A little more coordination on the transportation angle would make it an easy deal. During the Preakness, traffic was nothing like it was Saturday so I can only assume that it wasn't solely the Virgin Festival clogging things up. Learn some alternate routes if you need. Personally, I think driving up through the city and past The Ottobar is an easier option.

As far as Pimlico not being thought of as a concert venue, that's lame. Big stadiums aren't usually thought of one either but after a couple times, Pimlico too would be considered just as easily. [/b]
This is basically what I wanted to say, but was waiting for someone else to say it better... so thanks!    :D  

Really though, having it at RFK is about the worst idea I have ever heard.  Maybe Pimlico isn't the best venue (but like what was said before, I think the transportation issues could be resolved with more shuttle buses from light rail stations, park and ride lots, maybe even the Greenbelt metro station, and various other ways), but to have it at an old stadium that is not even fit for a baseball team, just because it is a few blocks from a metro stop is, I think, ridiculous.

SPARX

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »

start with Radiohead   :)  [/b]
Then add The Stooges

nkotb

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 03:15:00 pm »
I think you meant to say have them cancel AND THEN add the Stooges!

Originally posted by SPARX:

start with Radiohead    :)   [/b]
Then add The Stooges [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 03:16:00 pm »
i think Clutch should play too. even if its on the second stage.  :)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 03:34:00 pm »
An open field will have worse acoustics than an enclosed space, even a semi-enclosed space like RFK
wrong.  an open space has no reflection, so what is usually a major concern becomes a non-issue.  much easier for the sound engineers to deal with.
<sig>