Author Topic: Black Mountain Roll Call  (Read 4565 times)

brennser

Re: Black Mountain Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2005, 05:11:00 pm »
dayum pollard

good luck with the move - portland is a great town - some friends lived there a few years ago and loved it

good CD stores also

Originally posted by p011@rd:

Originally posted by snailhook:
  where are you going, pollard?

portland, or

There seems to be a ton of venues downtown [/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2005, 05:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  Maybe we were there at the same time? I was there for the Maximo Park concert.
thats the week i was there, didnt go to any shows, but I noticed they were playing

oh and thanks brennser, yeah there seemed to be a cd store every block, the best I saw being everyday music

snailhook

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2005, 05:17:00 pm »
everyday is good, but check out jackpot and anthem for the more obscure and esoteric.

and if you're into literature, powell's is the king of bookstores.

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2005, 05:19:00 pm »
spent a wad of money at their Seattle store. They seemed to have more used cd's in their "recent arrivals" section than many used cd stores have in their whole store.

Originally posted by p011@rd:
 everyday music [/QB]

ratioci nation

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2005, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  and if you're into literature, powell's is the king of bookstores.
I actually was in 2 powells, downtown one is just huge

TomJaworski

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
Downright awesome show! The experience was like an arena rock show within the cozy confines of the Warehouse.

xcanuck

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2005, 10:08:00 am »
Oh man, I am SO bummed. I had no idea this show was even happening. This band has been on my list of groups to check out. But I was so bagged from my weekend out of town (saw the High Dials and Sam Roberts!) that there was no way I could make it.

So how would you describe the music? The onstage performance?

TomJaworski

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2005, 10:26:00 am »
One word:
 "Rollicking"  :cool:  

By the time they played "No Satisfaction," near the end of the set, as an audience member you were either moving to the music, banging away at a tambourine provided by the band themselves, or had a smile on your face. I believe they performed the entire album plus a few others.

Relaxer

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
Excellent show. All three bands were great. The final encore, with like 14 people on stage, was a perfect ending. That was the best kind of music night because all the bands were great, the venue was hopping, and it was only eight bucks!
oword

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 12:23:00 pm »
Truly a special night. Clearly these bands just love to play. For themselves. For each other. For their new friends in the crowd. It was one of those shows where the other bands hung out in front of the stage the whole night wildly dancing, yelling out the words, or stumbled onstage to play backup. Loved all three bands. Lady Hawke was a great discovery. Heartfelt songs and grinding guitars. Black Mountain was exactly as I expected them to be. Intense, swirling and soulful.

snailhook

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2005, 06:33:00 pm »
black mountain were one of the best new bands i've seen recently. they write epic songs that sound completely different from each other. amber's vocals are soulful, stephen's lead playing is fuzzy and varied, jeremy's analog synths add a whole other dimension to the sound, and the rhythm section is tight and thick. it's stoner rock without being "stoner rock" (their music is way beyond fu manchu or kyuss). they simply sound like a long-lost obscure psych band from 1971, yet they sound totally modern.

they're also incredibly nice folks, and they stayed over last night and watched my spacemen 3 bootleg video, getting wrecked and talking aboot vancouver and the coldplay tour (which they said was completely bizarre). new album and tour in the spring, and they wanna come back, so hopefully, they'll play the warehouse or DC9.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2005, 06:53:00 pm »
i have their jagjaguwaraarara cd and it didnt grab me. i think i may have pawned it alredee but if i find it i'll grab it and give another lissen. i feel excited to hear it evne if ive already herd it and didnt like it. sometimes 1st impresshuns are no good. sounds like a ridiculous evening at the warehouse. i stayed home and did nothing. ouch.