Author Topic: Posies Roll Call  (Read 1471 times)

Bags

Posies Roll Call
« on: September 25, 2005, 11:50:00 pm »
Tomorrow night -- Monday, which is an awful show night, but whaddya gonna do.  Been listening to the Posies all day, and I am psyched for this...

I highly recommend Deathray Davies to anyone who can get there for them (they're the first band).  I saw them at the Velvet Lounge a couple years ago, after the Sex Pistols 9:30 Club show, and it was a great set.  

MON SEPT 26- THE POSIES, ORANGER, THE DEATHRAY DAVIES   $12   mainstage   8:30

sonickteam2

Re: Posies Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:15:00 am »
i wanna go so bad. but with OLP on Thursday, 3 Red Sox baseball games this weekend, and the White Stripes tomorrow, i need sleep....badly.

i am sad.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 09:20:00 am »
i'm feeling a bit like a saddo myself... as much as the posies rawk my world, i'm just not stoked about this one.  i too have white stripes tomorrow and djing 932 for oasis on the schedule.  would also like to finally see brmc for the first time, and see brendan benson since he's playing late thursday.
T.Rex

Sage 703

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 09:29:00 am »
The Posies are playing an in store show at Revolution Records today at 5:00, for anybody who isn't on that mailing list.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
So I have a feeling that, like Wonderstuff for instance, this will not be a well attended show.  Ah well...I'll be there with my boys.  Well, Ken at least.

Lamb007

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
How was it?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
a friend said they were a no show at revolution...
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 10:17:00 am »
Well, Kosmo picked the right show to miss this week.  It was weird.  First off, maybe 100-150 people there.  I should have known, but it was weird all the same.  Jon Auer was at the merch table when I got there at 10:45 (I missed both openers -- I really wanted to see Deathray Davies, but I've been swamped at work...I heard Oranger was "a bad version of Deathray Davies").

Band went on about 11:10 -- and shit the guitars were LOUD.  Everyone in my party rolled up napkins and made makeshift earplugs.  It was certainly partly the sound mix, but also Jon & Ken were kind of creating this wall of guitar noise - sludgy, messy, overbearing -- you couldn't hear much melody in it.  It was really hard to recognize even songs I knew (most were from the new album and Amazing Disgrace).  And the guys were jumping and throwing guitars and...I don't know, I just wasn't getting it.  It seemed like a parody at times.  I know that a lot of bands can rock out much more live than they do on record (hello Sloan, hello Ok Go), but...I wasn't getting it.

About a third of the way in to the 1.5 hour set some folks yelled that the guitars were too loud and the vocals needed to be up -- made it a bit better.  A few songs from Dear 23 and Frosting on the Beater sounded good, as did "Conversations" from the new album (probably because it's such a classic Posies sounding song).

I stayed for the whole set, but left with that thought, "I'll always have the albums, and that's what matters."

Bags

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 10:18:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  a friend said they were a no show at revolution...
Oh man, I would have been furious because to get there by 5:00 to see them would have meant leaving work way early.  So glad I decided early on that it would be way to difficult to get up there in time...