Author Topic: Idea for Snow Patrol  (Read 940 times)

Bags

Idea for Snow Patrol
« on: April 15, 2004, 03:37:00 pm »
DC9 has the following show scheduled for Sat:

April 17-Sat. Laura Burhenn (CD realese party) $5
  w/Come Down

This should mean that Come Down is on early -- 8:30 - 9:30 or so?  Maybe even 8:00.  Easy to hit before Snow Patrol at 9:30 Club.

I saw Come Down at Velvet Lounge a while back open for the Deathray Davies.  It was a pretty cool show -- they were a little more mellow -- apparently they call it "mope rock."  They're from NYC. It's a thought....  They have five MP3s on their  website.

The Fly (U.K. monthly magazine)
 From CMJ Marathon 2003 wrap-up:

...And finally, at the Knitting Factory, just off Broadway, Come Down prove to be an altogether more ethereal proposition, wrapping plaintive guitar, warm bass and soft Rhodes keys around an emotive, melancholic vocal. "Whose Side Are You On, Anyway?" and "Morning" envelope the senses and serve as a most welcome emollient after five days of cocktails and cheap sex. Or anyway, cocktails.
 Andy Inglis

Under The Volcano (NY-based fanzine)
 Come Down, Sender

This debut release, from this quartet that plays a sophisticated style of Indie Rock that bears similarities to Portishead, My Bloody Valentine and Radiohead, is practically flawless. Sender is filled with somber vocals and layers of ambient sounds made by guitars as well as keyboards, and drums that don't do too little or too much-they just groove. "Everyone With Guitars" is the song that really does it for me, maybe because I'm reading too much into the lyrics. Even the artwork is top notch, being very similar to Radiohead's Kid A. Be sure to keep an eye on this band. I highly recommend this EP, but maybe for quiet time rather than the next keg party. Andriani

Fungamemassive.com
 New Music Reviews | April 2001
 Come Down, Sender

This is by far one of the better things I've heard in a long time. Personally, I've been feeling burnt out on new bands. Bands that are the hip talk of the town are always mediocre, recycled versions of bands whose legacy died ages ago. This CD EP I can play over and over again. While Come Down hangs in the same hood as bands like Radiohead, Coldplay, Death Cab For Cutie and early Antarctica at times, they have an honest and pleasing musicianship that definitely gives them their own individuality. They deem themselves "mope rock" which is by far the most accurate term for the melancholy genre of passionate music that sooths or shares the life of the broken hearted. Delightful rhythmic dancing of strings is combined with a minimal usage of keys and programming while the drums drive the piece on with enough energy to keep your head moderately doing the indie rock bop. This is a self-produced, self released EP put out by the band themselves but is more than ready for the masses of music fascists everywhere. Email them, check out their website or catch them live and pick this disc up.