Author Topic: The Sounds  (Read 1295 times)

ggw

The Sounds
« on: April 21, 2004, 11:59:00 am »
I'm guessing nobody else went to this late show on Monday?

They were actually quite good performers -- although their sound may be a couple of decades late.  The dark, shoegazing eighties are now retro, while the new wave stuff sounds dated.

Dandy01

Re: The Sounds
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 12:02:00 pm »
I was considering it, didn't make it out though.  I'm not a big fan but the price and entertainment potential were appealing.

loopzlp

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 04:35:00 pm »
it was a great show -- but I think they are fantastic -- the crowd danced (rare for DC) and the band put on a good show...but no James Iha promoting them this time around...

snailhook

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 06:31:00 pm »
i worked this show and i was lucky enough to be in the VIP and dressing room sections when they were on. though they were completely unoriginal, i enjoyed them quite a bit, but i'm an unabashed blondie fan. great live band, but i doubt i'd buy their records.

this review of their debut album on allmusic.com accurately reflects what i heard on monday:

The Sounds embrace the decades-old bands that have inspired them to an unhealthy, cover band-like extent â?? they pose for photographs as if they're Blondie, and they both look and play the part, with black T-shirts, faded jeans, and snappy three-minute songs with trebly keyboard vamps and tightly wound guitar riffs. But the thing you cannot take away from the members of this Swedish group is that they know how to write and play songs that fit into their favorite era without the sense that specific songs are being cloned. More than that, the group has a bright, singular personality in powerful lead singer Maja Ivarsson, who has a multi-dimensional voice of her own â?? her Debbie Harry isn't nearly as obvious as the guy from the Hives' Mick Jagger, for instance. If you value fun over originality â?? and you should, especially when it comes to guitar bands at this point â?? the Sounds' debut will serve its purpose. It's over with in 40 minutes, and it plays out like a collection of A-sides. If a legion of bands can get away with relying on Nuggets fetishes, why can't a handful get away with taking several cues from Missing Persons, the Cars, and Blondie? â?? Andy Kellman

Bags

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
I would have gone, but seeing them open for the Strokes was enough.  

I bought the album and loved it...for a while.  I still emjoy it, but it doesn't age well as it's your most basic new wave (not new new wave, as it sounds like it's actually from the early 80s, not just influenced by the early 80s).  

Fun show, seeing them once was plenty though.  Her schtick is a bit much.  A guy I worked with went and left after two songs, but he's a harsh critic...

I disagree with this from the allmusic review:

But the thing you cannot take away from the members of this Swedish group is that they know how to write and play songs that fit into their favorite era without the sense that specific songs are being cloned.
[/b]

Some of those songs sound like direct clones.  "In America" is "Kids in America" with a word missing....

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 08:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Some of those songs sound like direct clones.  "In America" is "Kids in America" with a word missing....
I agree.  And that's also the only song I've seen them perform on the late night TV circuit too.  It's gotten really old.
27>34