Author Topic: Old People Are Buying Lots of Records  (Read 1762 times)

ggw

Old People Are Buying Lots of Records
« on: April 21, 2004, 02:16:00 pm »
Adult Music Fans Fuel Sales
 Tue Apr 20, 2004 03:08 AM ET

By Mike Levin
 NEW YORK (Billboard) - Every day in the United States, about 10,000 people become "grownups." The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that's how many people mark their 30th birthday each day.

For the music business, that means some 3.5 million customers per year presumably are shucking off the tribal, image-driven music of their youth and moving into the individualistic, melody-driven repertoire of maturity.

It's a theory supported by numbers. Figures from the Recording Industry Assn. of America, research firm NPD Group and some of the country's leading retailers show that during the past decade, sales of music for grownups are booming at a time when overall industry figures have slid drastically.

Of course, younger fans also purchase adult-oriented repertoire. But for the third consecutive year, over-30s are the only group to buy more albums than they did the year before.

Today, the 35- to 44-year-old consumer buys as many records as teenagers, according to the NPD Group. In 2003, over-30s bought 417 million albums; 15-24s purchased 246 million. Adults now purchase 56% of all records, and analysts believe that could hit 60% by 2005.

"Adult music continues to be among our top two or three segments, and it's growing in a down market because it's recapturing what made contemporary music good in the first place," says Kevin Cassidy, executive VP of sales, operations and product at Tower Records. "I guess it's cool to be a singer/songwriter again."

Young, melody-oriented stars like Norah Jones and Josh Groban appeal across the demographic spectrum. But the success of new albums and catalog product from legacy artists -- Harry Connick Jr., Jackson Browne, Hall & Oates, Rod Stewart, Bette Midler, Michael McDonald and others -- testifies to the strength of music for grownups. So do the trends toward crossover success within the pop, rock, country, jazz and roots genres.

"The adult buyers never went away, they just got bored for a while," says John Rollins, publisher of Tracks, the first music magazine to target exclusively the over-30 music market. "Now the baby boomers are re-engaging, and they're the first generation that, as they get older, wants to stay contemporary with pop culture."

Record companies and distributors are catching on. When Tracks launched last fall with Sting on the cover, Rollins says, the magazine sold twice as much advertising as expected.

"There aren't many serving this market, which is a bit of a surprise considering the numbers I've been looking at for five years," he adds. "It's pretty obvious the adult consumer is demanding attention."

During the past year, The Billboard 200 albums chart has confirmed the sales strength of the adult-oriented artists cited above and others, including John Mayer, Santana and Luther Vandross. The trend is also promising for the bottom line of the music business. Marketing executives see an adult demographic willing to spend $18.99 on a CD by a recognizable artist because they believe it will deliver high value for money.

The key to marketing music for grownups is all about helping adult consumers discover songs and artists that resonate in their lives, Tower's Cassidy says.

"They want to tell a story of discovery to their friends, about finding some great new stuff Bette Midler has put out or a newcomer named Norah Jones who sounds fantastic and they'd never heard of before," he explains. "As the current industry consolidation continues, there is room for majors and indies to boutique artists like these, where sales of 100,000 rather than 5 million means success."

Even though fans older than 30 are three times less likely than younger music buyers to accept music recommendations, according to NPD research, they still seek that advice from sources they trust, including friends and alternative media channels.

These fans have been called the "NPR demo" for their responsiveness to music exposed through alternative channels like National Public Radio.

Russ Crupnick, VP of the NPD Group, thinks the renaissance of adult consumers is the best thing that could happen to the music business after three straight years of declining sales.

"This is turning out to be a much larger segment than ever believed," he says. "Adults show less price sensitivity, and they're more disposed to browsing the shelves."

So an adult music buyer won't quibble about a price tag if the music is worthwhile. That's also clear on the concert scene, where acts like the Rolling Stones, the Who, Eric Clapton and the Eagles can get away with charging hundreds of dollars for each ticket.

A willingness to pay for perceived value is also evident online.

As legitimate online music services such as Apple Computer's iTunes have emerged (and as the Recording Industry Assn. of America takes legal action to stem unauthorized music downloading), fewer music fans over 30 have engaged in illegal file sharing, according to the NPD Group. Adult music buyers represent 31% of the illegal downloading population, down from 42% 12 months ago. With those adult fans purchasing music instead, either offline or on, the music business has reason to celebrate for the first time in many years.

Reuters/Billboard

Bombay Chutney

Re: Old People Are Buying Lots of Records
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 02:56:00 pm »
Summary:  Old people have more disposable income than teenagers and they're actually willing to pay for CDs.  Let's milk them for everything we can get.

grotty

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 02:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Skeeter:
  Summary:  Old people have more disposable income than teenagers and they're actually willing to pay for CDs.  Let's milk them for everything we can get.
I remember when I was a teenager, & my 26 yr old aunt bought me a cool record, thinking how odd it was that an 'old' person like that knew any good music.

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 03:13:00 pm »
Great find GGW!  A few points:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Every day in the United States, about 10,000 people become "grownups." The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that's how many people mark their 30th birthday each day.
My 30th did not make me a grown-up.  As a matter of fact, my 30th proved just how far from a grown-up I am.

Even though fans older than 30 are three times less likely than younger music buyers to accept music recommendations, according to NPD research, they still seek that advice from sources they trust, including friends and alternative media channels.
Que the 9:30 Message board theme song....

These fans have been called the "NPR demo" for their responsiveness to music exposed through alternative channels like National Public Radio.

Let the fight begin for the cool tag name.  I say Pollard gets it, but Rhett gets a "balls" derivative like NPR Demoballs or something.

Oh, and though I'm 30, I don't buy any of the CD's mentioned and I generally only buy used and Sale CD's.  Lastly, I legally download a ton, but generally don't purchase downloads.  Ever.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 05:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Let the fight begin for the cool tag name.  I say Pollard gets it, but Rhett gets a "balls" derivative like NPR Demoballs or something.

Rhett gets the "NPR" tag for his demographically-appropriate selections of Norah Jones and Nellie McKaye

Pollard gets the TinyMixTapesDemo tag for being consistently ahead of the indie curve.

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 02:02:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Oh, and though I'm 30, I don't buy any of the CD's mentioned and I generally only buy used and Sale CD's.  Lastly, I legally download a ton, but generally don't purchase downloads.  Ever.
Same here. Still left out on the sidelines even when they try to include me.

* I can't stand almost all of the music they select to push on 'adult listeners'.     :roll:  
 Please, don't ever let me grow up!!!

* I'm never, ever counted (demographics wise) in almost all of the genres that I do like, with the exception of any Retro music.

* There are tons of free legal downloads out there if you know where to look. Also, resales leave the artists out of any profits just as file sharing does. I can see both sides of the debates but I've known way more people that buy more and more 1st owner CDs and records due to file sharing than those who buy less. In fact, most Indie, newer, or smaller bands that I've ever spoken with are pro file sharing because they've made more fans, hence money, that way than not. In fact, I have a theory that none of all of those DIYers who can't get a break or are disgusted with the industry are not figured into the music sales which end up distorting the music sales numbers.

* I refuse to buy downloads. The quality is too poor vs discs and vinyl. Besides, I want something tangible in my hands. Interestly enough, almost all of the CDs I've purchased in the past couple years were ones that I've downloaded some or all of the tracks first. The real thing sounds better and I have a tangible product from the artists.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 06:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  * I can't stand almost all of the music they select to push on 'adult listeners'.      :roll:    
 Please, don't ever let me grow up!!!
Couldn't agree with you more. Just who's more offensive, Eminem or Sarah Brightman? To me, Brightman is far more offensive because she is utter junior-high shit marketed to "adults" as refined and sophisticated. If Brightman is "good music" then give me, oh hell, fucking  Staind instead.
😐 🎶