Author Topic: Elvis tune is 'song that changed world'  (Read 1426 times)

nkotb

Elvis tune is 'song that changed world'
« on: January 15, 2003, 11:37:00 am »
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- An Elvis Presley cover version of an obscure blues track has been voted the song which did most to change the world. <P>"That's All Right" was recorded by Elvis as a teenager in 1954 during a jam session in Memphis. The track launched the King's career and is regarded by many as marking the start of rock 'n' roll. <P>A panel of music journalists, commissioned by Britain's Q Magazine, put "That's All Right" top of a list of "100 ground-breaking, world-altering songs that changed music and the world forever." <P>It beat dozens of better known tracks, including The Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys. <P>"I Wanna Hold Your Hand," the song which launched The Beatles in the United States, came second, while the Sex Pistols' provocative punk anthem "God Save the Queen" was third. <P>The results of the poll raised a few eyebrows. <P>" 'That's All Right' is a wonderful track and we all hail it for starting Elvis's recording career, but it didn't change anything," veteran music journalist Paul Gambaccini told BBC TV. Among Gambaccini's books is a volume on the top 200 albums of all time. <P>Grunge gurus Nirvana were fifth with "Smells like Teen Spirit" while British band New Order came in ninth with their celebrated dance track "Blue Monday" -- the biggest-selling 12-inch single of all time. <P>The earliest release was Billie Holiday's 1939 rendition of "Strange Fruit" while the most recent was rapper Eminem's "My Name Is" from 1999. <P>A special edition of Q Magazine -- "100 Songs that Changed the World" -- is due to be released Wednesday. <P>

Re: Elvis tune is 'song that changed world'
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »
I feel bad for nkotb that nobody ever responded to this post. Let's all give it a second chance.

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »
Whoa...

Thanks for the helping hand, Rhett.  This just made my weekend a little brighter.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I feel bad for nkotb that nobody ever responded to this post. Let's all give it a second chance.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »
the last page of this board has a ton of ggw threads
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »
Just exactly how does a song change the world?

What flavor of Ben & Jerry's ice cream did most to change the world?

I would have to say choc-chip cookie dough

muthagoose

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »
Frozen Pizza changed the world.

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »
Dennis Quaid changed the world.
oword