Author Topic: Speaking of scalping...  (Read 842 times)

ggw

Speaking of scalping...
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:49:00 pm »
Ticketmaster Sues eBay,
 StubHub Over Sales

By ETHAN SMITH
 April 19, 2007; Page B5

Intensifying its long-simmering battle with the burgeoning aftermarket in concert and sporting-events tickets, Ticketmaster yesterday sued eBay Inc. and its StubHub subsidiary, alleging that the reselling site interfered with the company's contractual rights.

The suit came days after IAC/InterActiveCorp's Ticketmaster filed federal lawsuits against three ticket-broker operations and a Web site that rents software to them.

While the StubHub lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, focuses on a particular music tour, it signals Ticketmaster's growing impatience with the so-called secondary ticketing market that has blossomed in recent years as the Internet has made it easy for individuals and companies alike to buy and resell tickets originally generated by Ticketmaster.

The suit alleges that StubHub is currently selling "official premium tickets" to the coming Lynyrd Skynyrd/Hank Williams Jr. "Rowdy Frynds" tour. Sales of those tickets to the public, the lawsuit charges, violates Ticketmaster's exclusive right to sell tickets to events at the venues on the tour, including the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis and the Palace of Auburn Hills, Mich.

The suit further charges that StubHub, in conjunction with other, unnamed parties, effectively extracted tickets from various client venues by threatening that if tickets weren't made available, those venues "might not be considered as venues for future live-entertainment events."

The suit didn't specify how many tickets were involved. But it does allege that such practices were designed "as part of a larger scheme to diminish Ticketmaster's role in the sale of tickets." Ticketmaster controls the ticket inventory to the vast majority of high-profile concerts and sporting events. Its surcharges have long been the subject of anger on the part of fans.

Ticketmaster's top price for the Rowdy Frynds tour is $70; on StubHub, 11 "official" tickets for the May 5 stop in Charleston, W.Va., were selling for $250 apiece. Ticketmaster is seeking all of StubHub's revenue from the Frynds tour, plus punitive damages and a permanent injunction preventing the rival from future business practices that it says violate its contractual rights.

A representative for Lynyrd Skynyrd couldn't be reached. A spokesman for StubHub said it would be "premature" for the company to comment because it hadn't seen the documents.

In one of the lawsuits filed earlier this week, Ticketmaster alleged that a software firm makes available to brokers digital tools designed to evade Ticketmaster. Among those tools are "bots," which can rapidly send millions of digital requests for tickets from a single computer in the same time that a human user can make only a few.

Ticketmaster executives estimate that around 10% of the most desirable sports and concert tickets are bought by scalpers rather than fans.

yinzer

Re: Speaking of scalping...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »
case dismissed.

ticketmaster has no privity of contact b/t the promoter and the buyer.  they serve only as an intermediary.  if i've said it once i've said it 1,000 times:  FUCK FUCKING TICKETMASTER IN THE FUCKING EAR!

if i were counsel to ebay and/or stubhub i would file a countersuit for wrongful institution of civil proceedings and spend my entire life trying to bankrupt those fucking bastards - but i'm not so i won't.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Speaking of scalping...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »
interesting... i logged on to my ebay account to check up on crap i'm selling, and what do i find in My Messages:

Take Action Against Laws That Reduce Ticket Availability

Dear Ebay Member,

Today in your state capital, proposals for legislation are being drafted that claim to support an open market for buying and selling concert or sporting event tickets. But these proposals also include a variety of controls that will govern how you can buy or sell, what you can charge, or who can sell the ticket for you.

Some of these proposals would even allow corporations like Ticketmaster to decide how and when you can resell your ticket. They support "venue authorization" which would allow Ticketmaster and the venue to decide whether or not to allow the ticket to be resold. Free market advocates vigorously oppose this idea because it allows corporate interests (instead of fans and small businesses) to control the secondary market.

The truth is that these proposals all lead to a market that drives down supply and prices up--and that hurts consumers and sellers alike. Most other states allow ticket free trade, which benefits both fans and small ticket businesses by giving them access to more tickets at lower prices.

If you'd like to see more tickets to your favorite sporting events and concerts, please write your state elected representatives today. Urge them to support an open market that allows YOU to decide how and when to sell or buy a ticket.

Take action now!

Sincerely,

eBay Government Relations
everyone, up in arms!  dump your tickets in the harbor!  we shall have freedom, or we shall have death!!!
<sig>